attaching cannister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You hit the nail on the head! It's not so much to get rid of the light, but more to get rid of the tanks and KEEP the light!

Or to be able to remove and deal with an entanglement. Rare, but possible.

diversolo:
I've got the Sartek 21/13 light and tried to mount it to my backplate, but there isn't enough clearance between the backplate and tank. I'm afraid it will abrade my wing. For the time being, I have been using zipties to secure the d rings to the holes in the backplate. It keeps a flexible connection between the d rings and bp and enough clearance to keep the wing safe. An inelegant solution to be sure, but it's working until I can figure out a better way.
How about a 2" wide strip of 1/4" thick PVC sheet about 10" with 4 holes in it to act as backplate side extender, like a hinge. This would move the canister out from the wing and give you more room without significantly changing your access or balance.

I thought the bouyancy on these was about 1.5 negative? I got my light, it is the 10w with the 5.2aH Li-Ion battery pack. There's not really any bouyancy info on the site.
BTW, thanks for the explanation, I will consider both configurations and work out which one will work best for me...as soon as I can get back in the water, damn sinuses!
gomi_

Carls:
Please tell me why a light system that is less than 1/2 pound negative needs to be ditchable? QUOTE]

diversolo:
I should clarify that it is no fault of the canister or mounting system. The clearance between the bp and tank is too tight to slip a quick link through. It probably has more to do with the tank band spacing. It's a dive rite bp, wing and bands with an OMS manifold.
Homer,

Not to dis Carls, but there may be a less kludgey solution than a hinged backplate extender.

Backplates are not created equal. While most look the same in terms of overall shape, they are bent at different angles. Oxycheq and DiveRite are "flatter" bends, while FredT, Halcyon, and OMS have deeper more 'angled' bends on each side of the central channel.

Try before you buy, but try a couple different plates. I own FredT, Halcyon, and Oxycheq plates (and like them in about that order), but other dive buddies have other plates and thats what we've used to compare and contrast.

You should find that a plate with a "deeper V" bend to it will allow you greater room between the edge of the backplate and the fabric of your wing/curve of your tanks.

You simply cannot go wrong with a FredT plate, but there are others that offer a 'deeper V' in addition to Fred. Sell your flat plate and buy one that works for you properly.

So to summarize succinctly; "Get Bent"! :D

[/HIJACK]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom