'Attaching' a hand-held primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend separating the light head from the battery, using a cord to connect the two, and wear the battery on your right hip.
That's just so crazy enough it might work.......

Why oh why does nobody offer a Goodman handle that is solid yet comfortable/padded, ergonomic, adjustable to fit various hands, gloves, etc.? Most are either the "soft" sock type or the U-shaped metal handle. Two extremes. The former is floppy, and the latter can sometimes feel in one's bare hand like a medieval torture device. The Oxycheq Raider seems to be a soft sock-type that is easier to shift from hand to hand than others, but I would rather have a solid handle. I just want a solid handle that fits my hand comfortably.

A regular hard Goodman, sandwiched between 2 halves of a suitably-sized piece of PVC, then wrapped with a tennis racquet replacement grip?

A regular hard Goodman, sandwiched between 2 halves of a suitably-sized piece of PVC, then wrapped with a tennis racquet replacement grip?

My current Goodman hack includes some neoprene on the flat surface of the bottom of the light mount, to provide a bit of cushion against the back of my hand. I found this mentioned in some old threads. With the handle gap adjusted to a minimum, that pretty much addresses my discomfort in the height dimension. Then there is the width dimension. That the handle was substantially wider than my hand still felt uncomfortable, as the resulting "yaw" slippage made it difficult to keep the light pointed where I wanted it without exerting a death grip on the handle. So I addressed that by mounting a spacer or shim against the inside of the handle, so my hand fits more snugly in the gap.

But there shouldn't be a need to McGyver this up. Surely someone can manufacture a hard Goodman that is more comfortable for divers who don't wear gloves and/or have big hands than a U-shaped metal bar. There are thousands of things with handles from which to draw inspiration. A U-shaped metal bar is a pretty crude design.

Just tie a loop of bungee about wrist sized, put it over your wrist. Tie a bolt snap to your handheld light just like you would a backup light. Clip bolt snap to wrist bungee when it's on your hand. You get to secure your non-corded primary, and looks stylish because you've got a bungee bracelet on too. Double word score!
brilliant

IMG_3369.JPG
Example of what I've done for both a light and my camera.

The problem with clipping the light to a bungee, computer, or whatever on your wrist is that you won't be able to move it easily to the other hand when you need to do so. We had this same discussion not too long ago with regard to the fabric version of the Goodman handle.

The problem with clipping the light to a bungee, computer, or whatever on your wrist is that you won't be able to move it easily to the other hand when you need to do so. We had this same discussion not too long ago with regard to the fabric version of the Goodman handle.

My light/camera are unclipped when I'm using them. When I'm done with them, they get clipped off.

That's why I dont' advocate clipping to a compass/computer/etc. The separate bungee loop, sufficiently sized (and of course being bungee), will maintain the light securely, but is easily pulled off when you take the light off. It's a trivial thing to put your hand through the bungee when you put it back on, and you're only holding the light in your right hand. I'll see if I can get some video of mine on my lLM canisterless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom