'Attaching' a hand-held primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w3dge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks, I'm looking for some opinions on this topic.

In the good old days of canister lights, whilst the head was usually worn with a goodman handle, it was also secured to the diver with the cord - preventing loss should the diver accidentally drop the head. In our brave new world of hand held lights, this safety net of the cord is no longer present. I was wondering if any of you fine folk try and replicate this safety net some how, or merely keep the hand-held light on a goodman handle only?

I tend to use a hard handle as I like the flexibility to swap hands easily.

Thoughts appreciated :)

I tied a small bolt snap on my light and tuck it in the soft handle. If needed I could just clip off the unit, though because it's cordless I don't see this ever being a necessity. I don't worry too much about losing the whole unit or even just the light. It would take a really aggressive physical action to dislodge it.

What I do when I go to a backup, is clip it into my compass bungee.... just in case I butterfinger it ...... or still have a deco hang .... and butterfinger it .....

No compass? Any piece of bungee in the wrist area works too ...

_R

I take a length of thin bungee cord and tie it to the hole on the light butt end. I then slip knot a small bolt snap to it. The bungee loop is big enough to get over my wrist in wet gloves (haven't tried this with dry glove cuffs yet), and I clip it off when I'm done with it. I haven't found a soft light sock that works to my satisfaction.

If at some point I buy a hand-held light that costs as much as a traditional canister light, then I suppose I'll look for a solution to the lack of a tether. Losing a thousand-dollar light would suck. For the time being, my hand-held lights are the $60 type from DGX, etc. I carry two: one in my hand (directly or via Goodman handle), and a backup clipped to a D-ring in case I drop the one in my hand and can't recover it.

I have never thought of the cord on my can light to be a safety net in case I drop the head. All of my lights have a bolt snap on them, so they can clipped off when needed. Other than that I do not worry - just look at folks with camera rigs.

I don't worry about my lights (both hand held non can lights)- both have boltsnaps so when not in use , they are clipped (and looped in place), when in use they are in my hand. Takes less than 5 secs to stow/deploy.

If I had spent hundreds I might think about a length of bungee cord looped round my wrist but not at the moment.

My most expensive light cost $100. I did the bungee cord thing as I find the lanyards that come with hand held lights to be much too long for my tastes. The bungee cord was my personal compromise between just a bolt snap and a long lanyard. I personally like having something around my wrist when holding the light. Just something extra if it happened to come out of my hand or if I need to use my hand for some reason. Works for me, may not work for others.

Just tie a loop of bungee about wrist sized, put it over your wrist. Tie a bolt snap to your handheld light just like you would a backup light. Clip bolt snap to wrist bungee when it's on your hand. You get to secure your non-corded primary, and looks stylish because you've got a bungee bracelet on too. Double word score!

Back
Top Bottom