Atomics split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kneptoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the past 2 weeks I logged 30 ocean dives with a pair of Atomic split fins. Prior to this I used a pair of Mares Avantis full foot pocket(for the past twelve years). I really couldn't tell you that I noticed any huge fundamental difference between these two very different fin designs. I was able to do all of the kick variations with the Atomics that I am used to with the Mares. I was able to frog kick and reverse easily with these split fins. I also found no particular disadvantage in the strong currents prevalent around Komodo. The splits were just as subtle as the blades. I use different kicks for each leg and the splits were very responsive. The big difference was lack of leg cramping. At the end of 2 or 3 dives with the Mares I would begin to experience calf cramps. Even with 4 dives a day I never experienced cramps with the splits. And I never really ever came close to dying due to some entanglement trapping between those provocative splits.

Which Mares Avantis full foot fin if you don't mind me asking ? I think Mares makes 3 different models of full foot Avanti fin.

In the past 2 weeks I logged 30 ocean dives with a pair of Atomic split fins. Prior to this I used a pair of Mares Avantis full foot pocket(for the past twelve years). I really couldn't tell you that I noticed any huge fundamental difference between these two very different fin designs. I was able to do all of the kick variations with the Atomics that I am used to with the Mares. I was able to frog kick and reverse easily with these split fins. I also found no particular disadvantage in the strong currents prevalent around Komodo. The splits were just as subtle as the blades. I use different kicks for each leg and the splits were very responsive. The big difference was lack of leg cramping. At the end of 2 or 3 dives with the Mares I would begin to experience calf cramps. Even with 4 dives a day I never experienced cramps with the splits. And I never really ever came close to dying due to some entanglement trapping between those provocative splits.

You didn't mention silting so you've left yourself open for a meaningly useless challange.

Otherwise, nice review and well said.

Silting? Of course there was silting, like a hippo running through the mud. Probably visible by satellite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom