Atomic z3 vs aqualung mikron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morg59

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide between these two and I am having a difficult time. If you had to choose between these two what would you choose and why? I've fondled both at the LDS and need to choose.

I am trying to decide between these two and I am having a difficult time. If you had to choose between these two what would you choose and why? I've fondled both at the LDS and need to choose.

Was at the same crossroads, several years ago, except it was with the then Z2 and the Mikron. Based on the shop recommendations, I went with the Atomic Z2. Couldn't be happier with the regulator. Crossed over to DIR configuration and the turret shaped second stages make it easier to route long hoses and to accommodate twin cylinders. I've breathed the darn thing hard through some rough exits and down to 130ft. It's been in 45-47 degrees to low 80 degrees water (farenheit). Never had any problems. The majority of the time, I keep the second stage on maximum breathing resistance and it's still silky smooth and delivers air with ease.

You do have to exercise special care when rinsing Atomic regulators.

O.

I've owned both, or iterations of, I preferred the Z2 mainly due to larger exhaust T. On the Mikron I found bubbles to be noticeable and at times annoying. Breathing wise both breathe great.

The Mikron first stage is a solid unit- basically an updated Conshelf and the same one used on the current Titan series. However the second stage is just an attempt to make the Aqualung Titan LX/ Core second stage as small as possible and the result is only very slightly smaller but with increased bubble interference- pretty pointless IMO. My choice would be the Z3 or an Aqualung Titan LX/ Core.
The Atomic regs you do need to soak or rinse pressurized or water WILL enter the second stage LP hose, I've seen it happen no matter how carefully I rinsed unpressurized. It's not a biggie and certainly not a deal breaker because they are really are a great breathing reg and my wife's B2 has been continuously used now for 10 years with no signs of wear, in fact it is the best breathing reg I have ever tried regardless of brand or cost.

First let me say I have no experience with Atomic. I do have several regulators, Scubapro and Aqualung, and my original Mikron (6 years) is still my choice for more then 80 percent of my dives.

FWIW. Because of the small size and weight, its also my preference for pony regs and bungeed backups.

I have no experience with the Mikron but have been diving Atomic for over a decade now with no issues.

One difference if you plan to keep within the warranty guidelines is Aqualung's is every year inspected, 2nd year service.

Atomic's is a simple 2 year service or 300 dives. Mostly what allows that is the Seat Saver Orifice. It's also the thing that causes issues with rinsing.

Worldwide I believe Aqualung has the larger dealer network.

Last edited:
I have little experience with the Atomics but I've got tons of regs and several Mikrons.....in short, the Mikrons are great. Breathe great in cold and warm, super small and light for travel, service everywhere.....I just got another set from leisure pro for $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my buddies and I both dive Atomics and we both found that the local shops do not service the regs properly, so we both have it done at the factory. We get it serviced every three years but the cost is high, around $200. The factory service includes changing out the plastic covers.

The seat saver can be a pain when rinsing, especially on dive trips when others get valet service rinsing. The regs are otherwise well made and breathe well.

I've owned both, or iterations of, I preferred the Z2 mainly due to larger exhaust T. On the Mikron I found bubbles to be noticeable and at times annoying. Breathing wise both breathe great.

+1

I have both and while the smaller exhaust doesn't bother me, I can see where it might be annoying to other folks. Ouvea's turret comment should also be a consideration if you choose to go with a long hose setup, but it's not a showstopper with the Micron. Micron does pack down smaller.

Both are great regs, IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom