Atomic Z2 1st stage whistle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had exactly the same problem out of the box. It was the piston. It was disassembled re lubed and noise went away. It seems this whistling noise is not uncommon with piston regs. I had a SP MK25 that did the same thing. Although annoying as hell it's of no functional concern apparently.

I had exactly the same problem out of the box. It was the piston. It was disassembled re lubed and noise went away. It seems this whistling noise is not uncommon with piston regs. I had a SP MK25 that did the same thing. Although annoying as hell it's of no functional concern apparently.

I ended up returning that set (minus octo) and bought a sealed version from my LDS. After talking for a while with the owner, we were able to agree on a price both of us could work with. In fact, I ended up buying another reg set for the wife for the same price.

Too late for you now, but if you plan to keep paying to have it sealed after service, you probably should have looked into buying a diaphragm reg instead.

I thought about that and will play it by ear when the time comes. Talking to the tech at the LDS, it should only be $30-$35 more for 1st stage service (cost of christo-lube) vs the unsealed. When I comes to it, I may sell the regs and buy new diaphragm regs. It's just for the quarry/lake where I do a lot of my diving the water is far from clean, especially when there are 2-3 dive classes going on.

I have been servicing regs for much of my 41 years of diving, and can tell you with complete honesty that Atomic regs are among the finest ever built. The issue that you experienced does occasionally occur with balanced piston regulators. There a number of potential causes, and making such a determination without actually servicing the first stage, is at best, a guess.

I personally own four different Atomic models, and have found them to be outstanding breathing regs. The AFC allows them to achieve a high level of stability. I seldom adjust the inhalation effort, and typically only do so when swimming into current.

As I service all of my own regulators, along with those serviced for others, I have grown to appreciate how easily the Atomics are rebuilt. With my own personal regs, I rebuild them when they begin showing abnormal intermediate pressure creep, or any other abnormality. It is not unusual for Atomics with the Jet Seat piston to display 3-4 pounds of creep. The rounded edge piston and corresponding soft seat will often go more than 300 dives before a service is required.

This is not to imply that other manufacturer's regulators are of poor quality. I own, or have owned, models from more than a dozen manufacturers. In today's market, it would be unusual to find a regulator that is truly poorly designed and made.

As far as sealing of the first stage goes, three of my four Atomics are sealed. I chose not to seal my wife's Z3, as she doesn't dive in cold or contaminated water. I did install a swivel cap on the first stage, as she was not fond of the hose routing with the 7 port fixed turret.

Had Leisure Pro not exchanged the unit, Atomic would have corrected the issue. Rest assured, you have bought an excellent regulator.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

@KG Diver

You have one of the, if not the, finest regulator in the market today. Don't let anyone talk you into feeling that a diaphragm regulator offers you anything you don't have in this Atomic regulator. With Atomic regulators, you can skip several years of service and they will still perform like new. With a sealed version like you have now, you can easily go over 3 or 4 years without servicing it. This reliability and resilience will negate any impact of the increased price for the sealing.

When you buy an Atomic regulator, you never have to look back or regret the decision to buy one, others who don't have one will be jealous and will try to find every excuse to make you feel bad about owning one. Enjoy your diving and your equipment and don't look back.

(I have owned Atomic regulators since circa 1998. I have used them for myself and in my dive school. They are least problematic regulators in the fleet. Only Scubapro comes a close second).

Google brought me here; as I'm having the same problem with a sealed M1 on its second dive. God is it annoying, I will contact DRIS whom I purchased it from

Google brought me here; as I'm having the same problem with a sealed M1 on its second dive. God is it annoying, I will contact DRIS whom I purchased it from

Yeah, very annoying, especially because it annoys everyone around you. I ended up returning mine to LP.

My LDS matched LP price and I ordered a sealed z2 through them. When it came in, also whistled when they put though the test bench. They ended up opening it up and adding more lube. It's been on 8 dives since then, down to 97ft....quiet as a church mouse.

Another advantage of buying any reg from a lds is that they should assemble and test the reg as part of the sales process.

We have received many regs from different manufacturers that were actually outside of the servicing specs with respect to cracking and intermediate pressures and didn't perform like they actually should. We have seen as much as a 50 percent increase in cracking pressure over the specs. On a couple of occasions we have had to completely rebuild the reg before we felt comfortable enough to release it to the customer.

Personally, I would be upset if I paid for a new reg from manufacturer x and it didn't perform like it was suppose to. But, most customers do not have access to test equipment and if they can tell that there is an issue, they think that the reg is not as good as everyone says when all it really needed was to be adjusted properly.

Weird experience; got the reg back. Tested it, whistle was still there. Wondered if perhaps my hearing could be more sensitive. Asked a friend, he heard it clear as day.

Did about 8 dives on it; whistle totally gone. Hopefully for good this time...

Back
Top Bottom