Atomic vs Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an Oceanic Delta/ FDX10 regulator that I bought used last year. It came with an octo and full gauges.
I found an ad for a used Atomic Z1 first and second stage reg set.
The Z1 has been replaced with newer models, but the price is trmpting.

Will the Z1 breathe better/easier than my Delta?
Would it be an upgrade or about the same?

IMO it would be an upgrade. Although have never used oceanic they are not renown for their regulators, nothing bad but nothing special either. The Z2 is a very nice breathing reg, I owned one. The Z3 upgrade is just cosmetic and with the addition of a swivel, it will breathe the same as the older versions. If the price is right I'd "upgrade".

Added: sorry just noticed you mentioned Z1, not sure of the differences but think again it was only cosmetic. All Atomic breath the same as far as I'm aware and differences are largely down to swivel, cosmetics and materials used. Great regs.

Last edited:
Z2 doesnt have a swivel.

I would pay $100 for a used Z1 1st+2nd.

$175 is too much. You can get a Z2 for about $200.

Last edited:
Before buying a Z1 you need to figure out which piston it is using. The original Z1 used the sharp piston that in some case would lead to IP creep. If the rubber cap on the top of the first stage is a doughnut shape that is the old piston. The newer pistons would have the rounded cap. The older pistons Z1 are worth about $100 to me. The newer ones $150 at best. It is very easy to upgrade an older Z1 to a Z2 and most shops would force you do that anyways because service kits for the older piston are no longer available expect as NOS.

Before the Z3 was released you could buy a Z2 with a swivel - it was called a Z2X. Probably discontinued so it didn't compete.

Capture.JPG

I was talking about the first stage LP port turret. You can add the atomic swivel hose onto any atomic second stage.
And I'm not. I don't think Buddha was either. Since the only swivel available on a Z3 is on the 2nd stage.

None of the Z series ever had a turret 1st afaik.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom