Atomic Ti2 Titanium Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I was lucky this week and picked up 2 Atomic Ti2 Titanium with B1 1st stages for $400. My plan is to use them for my and my sons Pony Bottles. Presently we dive with Atomic Z3.

I am going to have both the Reg's rebuilt, but read here that you can upgrade them to full T2 or T2x. My question is, is it really worth it or should have just have them serviced?

I do have a couple extra Z3 color kit I could put on them, if that would make any difference too.

Also, one of the Ti2's is a yoke. The other and all 3 of my Z3's are Din's. Again since this is going on a Pony bottles, does it matter?

Why put in the Monel Piston?

Just trying to understand. If Atomic makes and sells the T3, full Titanium then why is it such a problem? Do you fill over 40% often?

Just trying to understand. If Atomic makes and sells the T3, full Titanium then why is it such a problem? Do you fill over 40% often?

Technical divers doing decompression dives use gas mixes with higher O2 percentages to reduce decompression time and/or increase safety. Some non-technical divers keep a tank of O2 around in case of DCS sickness.

it has nothing to do with going over 40%. One should not do that with a Ti regulator. Period.

The reason for using a monel piston is to hedge one's bets when using both nitrox (mod Grade E) and regular air (Grade E ). With Grade E one can get a build up of hydrocarbons. Thus there is slight chance of combustion. Very slight. With a monel piston vs SS piston the chance is reduced. Thus reducing the chance that the HP seat will then combust which in turn could combust the regulator body which is Ti and could blow.

Atomic feels that if one is running both Nitrox AND regular air that one should have a monel piston and several other monel parts. Personally I believe it is a bit of over kill thus I personally feel the using a monel piston which is where one has the thinnest material with the greatest pressure and the most gas flow is in general enough. YMMV.

The T3 has a monel piston; without it, it would not have either the EAN rating or the 3 year service interval that it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom