Atomic T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The atomic OP is using has that valve build into an automatic internal device. Though I could have them backwards...
Yes, I think you might. The internal Automatic Flow Control (AFC) in the T3 is to make breathing easier as depth increases. My understanding is this does affect the flow rate, but I don't think that's relevant here. (I assume the OP was playing with the knob at a constant depth.)

Yes, I think you might. The internal Automatic Flow Control (AFC) in the T3 is to make breathing easier as depth increases. My understanding is this does affect the flow rate, but I don't think that's relevant here. (I assume the OP was playing with the knob at a constant depth.)

The Automatic Flow Control (AFC) is for the control of the Venturi. It is at maximum when depth reaches 20 meters. This is very different from the knob function, cracking pressure adjustment.

@BoltSnap You quoted me, but I can't tell if you're disagreeing with some part of what I said.

It doesn't sound like there's a problem with your regulator, but I would bring it in to where you bought it and have them check it out.

@Clamutt i would suggest it was probably just changing because you were consciously thinking about ‘wow my SAC is high" and that caused it to go down. Anyone can temporarily lower or raise their rate although not recommended. I’m sure the computer is very accurately measuring second by second SAC rate, but not sure it’s as important as your average rate over the dive. A better plan is more diving and don’t think about it - relax work on trim. Slow down and don’t use your hands. Your rate will take care of itself.

Occasionally with my atomic reg, if the knob is turned out too much it will free flow gently out of my nose between breaths. Somebody is probably going to say I’m crazy it can’t happen, so maybe it’s my imagination, but that’s what it feels like. That would effect SAC rate.

Next time before you submerge, try gradually lowering your second stage reg under the water with the mouthpiece pointing up. It should start flowing just before the air hole goes under. Water should be roughly 1.5" - 2" or so above the level of the diaphragm if I remember the specs correctly. Having your reg checked may be a good idea, but I would say to take a look first at these reg checking best practices: Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8). Every diver should endeavor to understand what’s contained there in my opinion. My worthless advice is there’s nothing wrong with your reg.

For a beginner who bought a $2,000. regulator I thought customer service was in order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom