atomic t3 3yr service integral, applicable to b2 second primary/octo as well?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrxkyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i've seen it said that the b2 second is titanium same as the t3 second, and that only the first stages (and cosmetic housing of second) is different.
does that mean the b2 second really only needs service every 3 years in reality?

I go longer with all of my Atomic regulators especially the sealed first stage ones. My heavily used ST1 gets serviced every 5 years and others around the same time too (including a B2). They are ALL sealed first stages.

This is valid as long as your regulators were serviced by capable technicians and according to Atomics specs. These regulators are the best performing and best reliable regulators with best value overall.

all our Atomics seem to handle longer service intervals very well. The IP gets checked regularly, and they just keep performing great. FYI... they're all sealed firsts, we rinse gear well and often, and we dive almost totally fresh water. I'd likely service sooner if diving in salt, but I'd say 3-4 years is reasonable. At that point, they'll get serviced as a matter of preventative maintenance.

You'll notice that the posts above essentially refer to first stage qualities.
IMO, while a full second stage service may not be indicated with a titanium barrel and Atomic's extraordinary seat-saving orifice, the reg does deserve to be stripped down and retuned every single year, even if you leave the first stage alone.
I can't tell you the number of seconds that have come into the shop with terrible cracking effort two years down the line. That fine engineering comes at a price: things shift just a hair over time. And I wonder why it didn't drive the diver crazy, except that it likely came on so gradually.
When the difference between perfectly tuned and lousy may be a little as 1/12th of a turn on the orifice, you can see why thousands of breaths and a few retained sand particles may make your otherwise perfectly functioning reg not work quite as well as it did when you left the shop two years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom