Atomic subframe mask with prescription?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have somewhat strong lenses ~-4.5 in both eyes and the lenses are thick, yes. Gunk gets into the grooves because the lenses jump so high up. However they feel superior to the other Rx lenses I have, brighter somehow. Also the downward view is maximized with the Rx lens reaching as far as possible in every direction. Not like with some other made-to-order lenses where the Rx part is glued only to cover the very middle part of the glass.

So when you get made to order lens put in, they are only in the very center of lens and do not cover the entire area? Is this the way prescripitiondivemask.com does it? I was about to go with them, but I was wanting my prescripition to cover the entire lens.

My lenses are like piikki's. They cover the bottom completely and most of the top. Although I'd prefer they cover the entire mask lenses, I can't tell any difference when wearing the mask.

So far I haven't had any "gunk" issues.

I had aquatic optics AQUATIC OPTICS, Inc. do my lenses. I believe they also do all of the regular lenses for Atomics's masks.

My RX cover the complete lens, first time I have ever heard of a partial cover except for the glue in lens or a bifocal.

I am in the process of getting Rx for the Atomic SubFrame... when I spoke to ScubaToys they said the Atomic Rx lens are only - diopters (near sightedness) and I need + diopters (far sightedness). So I contacted Leonard Maggiore (rxdivemask.com) who is well know for Rx shooter's glasses. He guarantees the mask Rx lens system for 5 years etc. Might want to chat with him.

to OP - you say you don't have access to any dive shops. So, have you actually tried the Atomic mask or any of the masks you are thinking about getting lenses in? You really don't want to get lenses in something before you've tried it!

But, it sounds like you already have a mask. If it fits, there are a number of places that will put in lenses and I would go that route. What mask do you have now, are you sure there aren't lenses available for your current mask?

I have positive prescrition lenses on my Atomic Subframe. My LDS sent the
off to a custom lab for bonding onto the OEM lenses. I really like the results.

Posted via Mobile Device

im in afghanistan..so i have no access to dive shops. and im planning going direct to my dive destination so unfortunately i dont have time to wait for custom stuff to be made once i get there. cause i want to be able to dive right away.

my current mask is a hydrooptix mask and while i love the field of view the leaking has gotten to be to much to deal with.

sorry if i'm bumping this thread but I was wondering if PDM and Aquatic Optics are the only two options.

I have a Mares X-vision and I know they have them pre-cut but does Atomic have their subframe mask pre-cut and fairly inexpensive? (I know the x-vision lenses were $40 a lens so if I could get something around that price that would be awesome)

You should call Atomic and ask them. They're very friendly folks and happy to answer any questions.

(714) 375-1433

I should warn you, though, that "inexpensive" and "Atomic" are rarely found in the same sentence. They put out premium gear, and their prices reflect that.

Good luck!

on the atomic website it says that this mask needs to be ordered from dealer to get the prescription lenses. has anyone done this? Does anyone know of any online sites that can order it with prescrption lenses as i dont have access to any dive shops.

I use Atomic subframes with a prescription and they work very well for me.

I don't know your age, but if you are like many divers in their 40's or older, your near vision might be starting to go. If so, you might consider getting the mask prescription set slightly weaker than your normal prescription, so that you can read your gauges more easily (unless you get bifocals made, like an optometrist acquaintance of mine did).

Back
Top Bottom