atomic (sub)frameless question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need a new mask, my Mares X-Vision is leaking on me...and it's getting super annoying...

I was looking at the atomic frameless...

and I've been reading a lot about the black skirts...but my instructor at my university told us to stay away from those, that they cause like tunnel vision?

I dunno if i would like it better or not...

anyone have opinions on it?

and which has better visibility the frameless or subframe?

thanks!

Jack

I have the atomic subframe w/black skirt. It is very similar to the frameless. The frame sits so close to your face that you can just barely see the skirt with your periferal vision. With this frame it is a moot point. Try it on in the LDS and you'll see what I mean.

man I wish I did have a LDS...more like drive for a few hours dive shop ...

This mask comes up so often in threads...I bought my Frameless last summer to replace a leaking mask- and I bought the black skirt. I love it, I hated the feeling of having a glow around my eyes with the light permeating the "clear" skirt. The black skirt keeps out light that you don't want distracting you- and as for "tunnel vision", it's not like you can actually see anything through the "clear" skirt anyway, it is jsut a distraction. I love mine. It was a tossup for me between the frameless and the subframe (single lense versus dual- the dual I think is slightly less volum) but I don't think I made a bad decision, and if they are on sale again this summer I will definitely buy a spare. Now, i don't know if it is worth spending twice the money for the new Anti- Reflective Coating models...
gomi_

Stay away from black skirts? That is nuts, clear skirts/black skirts/pink skirts its a purely personal preference question. If you like clear skirt masks get one, if you want a black skirt mask, go for it.

IMHO, you cant see clearly through clear silicone, but you can see shadows and shapes, it bothers me, so I have all black skirt masks.

Now, about the Atomic, I have a frameless, its a really nice mask, it fits very well, my only complaint is that like all super-low volume masks I have used it tends to fog a bit too easily. easily overcome with good defog, but its a little irritating.

which has better vis. the frameless or sub?

yes, I know, I've been reading and reading the old threads about these masks...

thought some new stuff would come up if I posed the question

thanks guys

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom