Atomic Sub-Frame ARC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yupito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently purchased a new Atomic sub-frame ARC, and it is not clear from the documentation whether you "can" clean the mask with Toothpaste or not. The actual language reads:
"Some divers like to clean a brand new mask with toothpaste to prevent fogging. This is not needed with the ARC Technology lenses".

The word "never" however is utilized in regards to cleansers and sandy towels. Therefore, it is somewhat unclear to me if you can, whether it is needed or not.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I have one of those masks and I have never cleaned it with toothpaste. I suppose you could if you wanted to but it is not necessary. I only use regular defog on mine. I love mine in bluewater diving. I have a Mares X-Vision for local green lake diving. I guess I would be way of the "few micron thick metal oxide layer". How big is a micron?

Official word from Atomic _ Ignore what the label says, we've recently changed that.
You will need to clean it with either toothpaste or some kind of mask scrub ( PSI works really well). Also plan to use defog the first couple times out. If your mask is fogging it isn't cleaned good enough. 95% of calls I get about fogging masks are solved when they are cleaned "again and proper use of defog is implemented.
just don't use abrasive substances such as soft scrub. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Cheers,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

Official word from Atomic _ Ignore what the label says, we've recently changed that.
You will need to clean it with either toothpaste or some kind of mask scrub ( PSI works really well). Also plan to use defog the first couple times out. If your mask is fogging it isn't cleaned good enough. 95% of calls I get about fogging masks are solved when they are cleaned "again and proper use of defog is implemented.
just don't use abrasive substances such as soft scrub. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Cheers,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

Hi Darcy.

I cleaned my mask with toothpaste, but now my teeth keep fogging up. What do you think?

Darcy, thank you for responding so quickly. This is what I needed. This is my second sub-frame. The other (not ARC) I clean with a soft toothbrush and defogger prior to every dive and never fogs.

Hi Darcy.

I cleaned my mask with toothpaste, but now my teeth keep fogging up. What do you think?

Gargle with Sea Drops?

Cheers,
Darcy
Atomic Aquatics

Hi Darcy: I own a pair of Atomic splits and the Atomics Subframe mask. I love them both! Only problem is I just broke down and had Prescription Dive Masks mount a pair of readers on the bottoms of the lenses and though I love the fact that I can now read my computer and gauges I will miss that wonderful field of view afforded without them!

Gaffer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom