Atomic SS1 on a Halcyon Eclipse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are overthinking the whole thing. with your concerns/worries I think you would be best suited to get some additional training/experience. If it still causes you this stress then go with a DIR setup using twin alum 80's and the 5 and/or7 ft long hose. It will address all your concerns in a clean efficient fashion without getting overly complicated. With the long hose you pass that away and keep control over the situation instead of just handing the problem diver a pony and hoping for the best. There is a reason they are in need of air and just handing them a pony most likely won't fix the bigger issues.

Vie, thanks. I got it. I am not aware of the length matter at all. It is a good info.
If then, only way to go might be to replace corrugated hose. I wonder if DR has to be in the same way though.

Vie:
What I said was, “the corrugated hose on the Eclipse may not be long enough,” and basically, that’s what I meant. The Halcyon corrugated hose is SHORTER than a corrugated hose supplied by Scubapro and others. Basically, if you want to use an alternate inflator regulator-type device on your corrugated hose, make sure that it is long enough so that when you are breathing from the “AIR2”-type device, you can position it comfortably and move your head in case you need to dump air at the same time (yes, I realise that normally you also can dump air by using a shoulder dump but of course a Halcyon wing will NOT have that feature).

lundysd:
Diving wet; I will probably end up slinging a 19cu ft pony, but I'm also considering an inverted quick-release mount. I've tried several BCs and the Halcyon is by far and away my favorite. My main problem with this setup is the 3 regs and what to do with them. If I do end up putting the pony inverted on my back, the 3rd regulator could be a challenge to keep out of the way. I guess my question is if the SS1 solves or creates problems for this BP/W and pony combination. I would like at least the option of mounting the pony on my back, but having to keep 3 regs out of the way makes this a real pain. This is why I'm considering the SS1. Opinions?
Scott

If you sling the pony, you will normally do it under your left arm. Normally, the 2nd stage hose will be clipped to a d-ring on the sling and the hose will be bungied close to the bottle similarl to what is shown below. So while you may have three regs, one is in your mouth, one is under your left arm, and one is either under your right arm or bungied around your neck in a hogarthian fashion.

That being said, one could argue that in an OOA situation, you would be offering the 2nd stage from the pony not your primary and that only in the case where you had multiple OOA/reg failures (pony or backgas) or insufficient gas supply in the pony, would you need to donate your backgas - beit from your primary 2nd stage or your alternate 2nd. Taken to the extreme some might suggest dropping the SS1 and Octo as you have an alternate air source from your pony.

stage_w_reg_r.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom