Atomic SS1 on a Halcyon Eclipse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I know the DIR divers are going to have a frenzy over this, but I am curious as to if an atomic SS1 (specifically the titanium version) is mountable on the Halcyon Eclipse BP/W. I realize many people think this is a bad idea and that these may be dangerous, but I am simply curious. Thanks for the help

Scott

Yes, it will fit, no problem.

Yes, the DIR crowd will disapprove. That could be a good reason by itself. :)

The corrugated hose on the Eclipse may not be long enough (as it wasn’t designed for use with an alternate inflator regulator-type device), so you may have difficulties turning your head/positioning when you are breathing from your SS1.

I also have the same plan to mount Air 2 or Tusa on DR BP/W and Halcyon.
Sorry. I don't care about DIR at this moment.

Vie, it is the matter of length or diameter? I don't get what you said.
As you know, there is the adaptor to fit the different size of hose from SP and Tusa.

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
Vie, it is the matter of length or diameter? I don't get what you said. As you know, there is the adaptor to fit the different size of hose from SP and Tusa.

Thanks in advance,

What I said was, “the corrugated hose on the Eclipse may not be long enough,” and basically, that’s what I meant. The Halcyon corrugated hose is SHORTER than a corrugated hose supplied by Scubapro and others. Basically, if you want to use an alternate inflator regulator-type device on your corrugated hose, make sure that it is long enough so that when you are breathing from the “AIR2”-type device, you can position it comfortably and move your head in case you need to dump air at the same time (yes, I realise that normally you also can dump air by using a shoulder dump but of course a Halcyon wing will NOT have that feature).

hoosier:
As you know, there is the adaptor to fit the different size of hose from SP and Tusa.

There was a recent recall of Scubapro’s Converter for Air 2 Alternate Inflation Regulator:

http://www.cdnn.info/recall/scubapro_041209/scubapro_041209.html

Here is DA Aquamaster’s advice re fitting AIR2 to a non-Scubapro BC:

“A lot of BCs (most) use the same diameter hose as the SP Air 2. That was pretty much the standard diameter until some mfg's started getting the urge to go with smaller diameter hoses, most of which leave a lot to be desired from a practical standpoint.

Another option is to replace your entire inflator hose/dump valve assembly with one using the standard diameter hose. This is normally easy to do as the hole in the BC is still normally the same standard diameter.

A less drastic option in some cases is to modify your existing dump valve to accomodate a larger diameter hose. This can be done by obtaining a short lenght of clear vinyl tubing of the appropriate diameter (outside diameter of the tubing matching the inside diameter of the larger hose) from the local hardware store, heating it with a hair dryer (as the ID of the tubing is normally just a bit too snug to slide on the hose fitting with out heating), then sliding it on the corrogated hose connection on your dump valve assembly and then trimming it flush with the end of the fitting. This will increase the diameter of the fitting to the diameter needed to fit a standard size hose, which is then secured with zip ties in the normal manner.”

Vie:
What I said was, “the corrugated hose on the Eclipse may not be long enough,” and basically, that’s what I meant. The Halcyon corrugated hose is SHORTER than a corrugated hose supplied by Scubapro and others. Basically, if you want to use an alternate inflator regulator-type device on your corrugated hose, make sure that it is long enough so that when you are breathing from the “AIR2”-type device, you can position it comfortably and move your head in case you need to dump air at the same time (yes, I realise that normally you also can dump air by using a shoulder dump but of course a Halcyon wing will NOT have that feature).

So with a short hose, your head will be facing more to your left and your vision somewhat limited to your right. Unless your primary hose is at least of an octopus length (36") or longer your buddy will be off to your right side so that there is less strain on his/her jaw keeping your primary 2nd stage in their mouth....so eye contact and signalling will be a challenge.

Add to that Vie's comment about now having to remove the SS1 from your mouth in order to dump air (don't forget to blow bubbles) in what is already a stressful situation and I think you can see that regardless of where one sits on the integrated AAS/inflator debate, the configuration you are contemplating introduces (IMHO) too much addtional risk. FWIW, my recreational rigs have and SS1 or AIR2....but the corregated hose is long enough for me to turn my head to the right and I can dump air from a number of locations without removing the SS1 or AIR2 from my mouth.

Otter you make some very good points; proper buddy communication is vital in a situation such as this. In response, however, let me explain the reasoning behind asking this question. I am investigating the plausibility of rigging a pony with a Halcyon Eclipse for OOA emergencies (lines charged and valve closed) in rec diving. I know this is frowned upon, but I would like to have redundancy, especially because I usually don't know my dive buddy and his or her skill level. This would either be slung or mounted, which is an entirely different discussion that is best suited for archive searches and prior flame wars :wink: . In either situation, however, I would have the bottle rigged for easy removal and passing off to my buddy if he needs it. Even with a pony bottle, however, I want to have redundancy on my primary tank. Because having 3 regs seems excessive to say the least, integrating the octo with the inflator seems like a possible alternative. This solves the communication issue but not the BC purging issue, although honestly with skills practice this seems minor to me. Any thoughts? Should I just bite the bullet and rig 3 regs? Doubles are not an option for me, and neither is adding a Y-type valve to the primary tank; I've done my homework, and despite most people's bias to them, I'm sold that, with proper practice and appropriate gas management, a pony bottle adds peace of mind and redundancy. Ideas? Thanks

Scott

When I dive deep rec dives, I sling a 30cuft pony....for peace of mind for me and my student. What is your reasoning for having the Eclipse on the pony? What problem are you trying to solve? Are you diving wet or dry?

Diving wet; I will probably end up slinging a 19cu ft pony, but I'm also considering an inverted quick-release mount. I've tried several BCs and the Halcyon is by far and away my favorite. My main problem with this setup is the 3 regs and what to do with them. If I do end up putting the pony inverted on my back, the 3rd regulator could be a challenge to keep out of the way. I guess my question is if the SS1 solves or creates problems for this BP/W and pony combination. I would like at least the option of mounting the pony on my back, but having to keep 3 regs out of the way makes this a real pain. This is why I'm considering the SS1. Opinions?

Scott

Otter:
When I dive deep rec dives, I sling a 30cuft pony....for peace of mind for me and my student. What is your reasoning for having the Eclipse on the pony? What problem are you trying to solve? Are you diving wet or dry?

Back
Top Bottom