Atomic Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Cal Divin:
No prob JR

Basically the M1 has more titanium parts. Pros:lightweight:less jaw fatigue, indestructible. Cons:$$$, Nitrox over 40% + titanium = fire, even underwater.

Jeff

I have an M1 and it is rated for Nitrox mixes up to 80%. Non of the titanium parts used in the M1 make contact with the air mix. The Z1 second stage has a recommended service interval of twelve months, the recomeded service interval for the B2, M1, and T1x is 24 months. The Z1 first stage does not rotate (some may say this is a good thing). The M1 first stage does rotate.

Jonny_Rocket:
So Cal,

It's 1 am here, and I'm too exausted to search and read through everything... if you catch this, could you just shoot me some pros/cons of the B1 compared to (if you know) the M1?

I appreciate it.

If the high - greater than 40% O2 - mixes are not going to be an issue, and you're not ice diving, I'd tell you to do the B2. Basically, it's the recreational version of the M1. The M1 has anti-freeze vanes, the B2 has a swivel. The M1 is environmentally sealed - good for cold water - a pain for service if not - and you can get your B2 sealed later if that's an issue.

scubatoys:
If the high - greater than 40% O2 - mixes are not going to be an issue, and you're not ice diving, I'd tell you to do the B2. Basically, it's the recreational version of the M1. The M1 has anti-freeze vanes, the B2 has a swivel. The M1 is environmentally sealed - good for cold water - a pain for service if not - and you can get your B2 sealed later if that's an issue.

Larry makes a good point about the B2. I bought the M1 for cold water rescue/recovery diving in dirty waters. I plan on getting a B2 as a back-up and for Caribbean vacations (until I can justify the price of the T1x to the wife). However since you said you were looking for a "do it all" cold water, wreck, high end non-titanium reg I still say the M1 fits your requests. BTW- Larry may not blow his own horn so I will... last time I checked, Scubatoys was an Atomics dealer. Maybe you should get together with him and discuss your plans in depth (pun intended). www.scubatoys.com

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the M1 because of the cold water diving up here in NY. I'd also like to get into ice diving. Fact of the matter is, I'm looking to buy new gear, and looking to do it right, so the M1 seems like the best choice for the diving that I'm going to be doing.

One thing to note: Ocean water is not 'cold water' unless you are diving in the Arctic or Antarctic ocean. Any Atomic regulator will be fine down to mid-40's. But since you are thinking about getting into ice diving, then that is indeed cold water.
I think the prevailing choice for real cold water is Apeks.

(BTW, I dive with two B1's for my double tank configuration and love them.)

So Cal Divin:
Basically the M1 has more titanium parts. Pros:lightweight:less jaw fatigue, indestructible. Cons:$$$, Nitrox over 40% + titanium = fire, even underwater.

You are confusing the M1 with the T1.

The M1 has FEWER titanium parts, is heavier than the B1/B2, more jaw fatigue, less indestructable.

Differences between M1 and B1/B2 in material are as follows:
First stage: identical, except for Monel piston and swivel bolt in M1 as opposed to
stainless steel in B1/B2
Second stage:
valve body: Ti in B1/B2, Palladium/Zirconium plated brass in M1 (same as Z1)
orifice: Ti in B1/B2, stainless steel in M1

B1/B2 have identical second stages as the all-titanium T1/T1x.
The T1/T1x have titanium first stages as opposed to brass in the B1/B2. Both have stainless steel pistons and springs.

mildseven:
Hi all...
I just want to get some opinions about Atomic Z1 Regulator. How does it compare with Oceanic Delta3 with CDX5 or with Apeks TX50. Which one perform better than the other if I want to use for deep dive around 30 to 33metres?

Thanks All
i wouldn't compare it with either as it is of a different design. Piston vs. Diaphragm. It is a good reg though. I would say that it is more like the Apeks. It is sealed. It is a great performer. Just a little pricey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom