Atomic Cobalt vs Oceanic ProPlus 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm shopping for an air-integrated replacement for my Veo 2.0. I like the console-style computers. I also want something with an integrated compass (and I like the Cobalt's digital compass). The Cobalt caught the gadget-freak eye in me. The ProPlus seems like it would do most of the tasks the Cobalt will but the Cobalt seems more intuative. The ProPlus does seem like a solid computer and several that I know like it well.

I have no plans on going tech. Simply a rec diver here (at least for the foreseeable life of this computer).

Any recommendations or pearls of wisdom from folks that have dove or played with both?

I have a Cobalt; my brother-in-law has a ProPlus 2. As a backup computer, I use an Oceanic VT3. So I have not used a ProPlus 3. My thoughts:

1.) The Cobalt's interface is sweet. Not perfect, but quite good.

2.) The Cobalt's built-in dive log storage capacity is huge.

3.) The Cobalt's built-in rechargeable battery doesn't require you to open the thing to replace a battery, which I like a lot.

4.) I personally prefer an analogue compass.

From an ease-of-use perspective, a buddy diving an Oceanic Geo 2 and I were shore diving Bonaire, and realized we'd forgotten to set our computers to nitrox. We couldn't figure his out with no manual. The Cobalt was easy.

If you're going to dive often enough to learn your computer well & retain how to use it, then I suspect a ProPlus 3 would meet your needs, and save you money. But I don't plan to swap my Cobalt for one.

Richard.

Last edited:
I agree with everything that Richard wrote. I have yet to find a better interface and customer service is excellent. I used mine on a liveaboard and around 20 dives and didn't have to recharge the whole week. The compass has a nice interface but is a PITA to calibrate and reacts too slowly for my taste.

Whatever you do, the DEMA show is only a few weeks away. It is always a good idea to see if anything better is announced unless you need it now.

I own two Pro Plus 2's and also a Cobalt. In my opinion the Cobalt is far superior; but, more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pro plus, I just love my Cobalt more.

That is a good suggestion on the DEMA show. I think I will see what comes out of that before I buy anything. I do have to say the Cobalt seems like the way I will go if nothing brighter and shinier catches my eye.

Back
Top Bottom