Atomic Cobalt dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or maybe on the next firmware you could add a screen to select what the cobalt does instead of just a blank screen ???????

or maybe on the next firmware you could add a screen to select what the cobalt does instead of just a blank screen ???????
Well, there are two situations where the Cobalt goes blank- one is when the battery is completely dead, in which case there is no power to run the program or the display. The other is when it is in bootloader mode and waiting for a firmware update- that’s what happens when it is either reset or charged from a dead battery while connected to USB. The Cobalt needs to be able to be put into bootloader mode in order for the firmware to be updated, and that's how we do it- resetting while connected to USB. In that situation the only program that can be running is the processor’s internal bootloader, since the main firmware is presumably going to be replaced it can't be running. In a device like the Cobalt, you want the bootloader code to be as small as possible- your definitely wouldn't want the firmware needed to drive a display, for instance. So it’s not really possible to be displaying any messages at that point- it's a good thought, but we can’t do it without fundamentally changing the bootloader, which for other reasons would not be a good idea.

-Ron

I'm having the same problem with my Cobalt 2 however I first tried plugging it into the wall charger (for about 6 hrs) before trying the USB charge (which didn't work either). I will email Atomic directly with my email address for the instructions.

On the Cobalt 2 you can perform a manual reset by holding down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds. That should restart the program. Let me know if it doesn't work.

-Ron

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with my Cobalt 2 (which is on 2.43 software). This computer was also sent back to Atomic Headquarters in January 2016 for some other issues.

By problem now is: After doing the first dive and having the one hour surface interval; the Cobalt screen goes blank and can not be woken up. The ONLY way to wake it up is do the Manual Reset (by holding down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds). When it re-wakes obviously I have to reset date and time... but the battery will be at 92% or some similar high value. It is not that the screen is blank because the battery has run down completely.

On one dive, I noticed that the screen was blanked a few minutes into a dive ... however when I managed to manual reset on the boat after the dive; all the information for that dive was logged as per usual. (This could be potentially very dangerous..... but I always dive with a backup computer and a manual SPG)

Any suggestions please? All of my equipment is Atomic Aquatics except for my Zeagle Ranger LTD... so I am a big believer in Atomic Aquatic products... but after having the buttons go dead a few times (magnet corrosion) and now potentially having to send this unit away again for the second time this year... my unshakable faith in AA is starting to seriously erode.

Hi Taro,
This sounds like the display is not getting turned on, but the rest of the Cobalt is running normally. Can you let me know your serial # so I can determine when the board was manufactured and which revision?

I will have you some other specific questions, suggestions, and contact info I will give you in a personal message here.

I can pretty much guarantee that Atomic has solved the button issues. This is something very unusual, though I have heard of another instance that might be similar. Is this behavior consistent, or has it just happened once?

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom