Atomic B1 or B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DolphinDiver

Reaction score
What real improvements does the B2 have over the B1? Asside from the 2nd stage swivel I can't tell.

thanks

The B2 has a slightly wider exhaust tee, the swivel, and the Jet piston. The Jet piston is supposed to have a slightly higher flow rate, but I heard that it's mostly to solve a IP creep problem that some people were having with high pressure cylinders.

All of the above is available as upgrades to any Atomics regulator. The Jet piston is $80, and you can get it done when getting the first stage serviced. I was using a B1 and liked it so much that I got another one to use with the doubles setup I'm putting together. Since I got the Jet piston upgrade on my old B1, but didn't on the other one, (bought used on Ebay) I'll be finding out soon if the Jet piston was worth it.

If you like the swivel, then go for the B2, as it will be more expensive to buy the B1 and then do the upgrades. But if there's a good deal on a B1, I'd say go for the B1. You may likely not need the Jet piston upgrade, and the other two improvements are mostly just for a little additional convenience that you may or may not notice.

Great info. Thanks.

I've heard you can get the M1 tee for the B1, or Z1. Is that correct?

For me that would be a big plus because bubble interferece is one of my main peves.

Yes, the M1 exhaust tee can be used on the Ti2 second stage(B1 and T1) and the Z1 second stage.

The second stages for different models are almost the same except for the material for some components, and the purge cover and exhaust tee.

The M1 exhaust tee is even wider than the B2 tee, which is in turn wider than the T1,B1,Z1 exhaust tee.

I think the M1 tee only comes in one color accent(the M1 is only one color, right?) whereas the B2 tees will come with the accents that match the purge cover color. I'd expect the colors would be the same as the B1, but I don't know.

But I find it very interesting that the bubble interference bothers you. I never noticed it. :confused:
Apparently reviewers on Rodales felt the same way, but I still find it strange. (Looks like the improvements are a direct result of such reviews. The Atomic regs were rated tops for everything and the only negative point was bubble interference.)

Actually the B1 tee might be fine but it's nice to know I can switch to the M1 if I want to.

I own an older G250 now and I'd like to improve on it re: bubble interference. Since the G250 is supposed to be pretty good in the interference department, maybe I'm just picky. :) The M1 rated the best for bubbles I think.

Maybe its just my gigantic dome.

Maybe its my mask.

Maybe its my barn-door ears.

But I sure noticed a difference when I put the M1 Tee on my B1. it got a lot quieter for me, as the bubbles weren't rulling up my cherubic cheeks around my mask, into my hood and into my ears.

It got a log quieter. Very noticable difference. Best $25 I've spent on my gas delivery.

K

I agree with yall. I just had the B2 parts kit applied to my T2 during the bi-annual service. The exhaust tee and mouthpiece are latteral but positive improvements. Just saying that because I had no complaints about the last generation. My purge cover was looking quite worn and the new B2 cover is nice as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom