Atomic Aquatics question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AA's reg need to be pressurized to clean up? Could you please explain more on this?
Coz I am considering between Z2 (sealed), MK17/G260

btw, is Dive Rite OW set worth considering? It is now on sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ISyMSSJhA
a little old, but you get the gist
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/180568-proper-care-atomic-regulator.html

I generally soak the 2nd stages and keep the 1st stages elevated anyway, but didn't want to deal with the "what ifs"

If I had the choice I would go with the Mk17/G260 because I don't want deal with the expensive Christolube during servicing and just the hassle of sealing piston regs in general, but lots of people spend the money.

Ycc- I'm also looking into it & will provide a link to anything useful.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 11:48 PM ----------

Here's an AA manual; check out "Post Dive Care" on pg. 28

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 11:49 PM ----------

Dooh!!

http://atomicaquatics.com/reg_manual.pdf

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 05:24 AM ----------

I used a plastic padded cooler as a reg case & filled it with fresh water after the dive. When I got home everything went into the tub with Salt-X & water. I was told that my regs looked brand new by the SP tech.
Thanks for the info!
BTW-the Mk17 is a diaphram, no? I actually have a FDX10 and never used it!

Your MK15/ G250 will only need to be O2 cleaned if you are exceeding 40% O2. This is true for all regulators, even new ones. And it's not something that is permanent; as soon as you use it on a tank of regular scuba air (not modified grade "E") it's no longer considered O2 clean. This includes any fill from an unknown source, BTW.

So regardless of the regulator you have, it's likely you'll want to get it O2 clean before using it for high percentage O2 blends. Since those blends are almost always deco gas, it's not a bad idea to have a very simple regulator dedicated for deco use. By the time you're doing dives like that, you're likely spending so much money on other things that getting a simple 1st/2nd stage is the least of your worries. I think a good deco reg would be a MK2 paired with a 109 2nd stage. You can find those used for well under $100, and there's very little plastic in the air pathway to provide fuel for a potential O2 fire. You could probably get them rebuilt and O2 clean for under $100, and use it for five years or longer exclusively for deco before needing another rebuild.

The atomic issue with soaking is that the 2nd stages have a seat saver function that separates the seat from the orifice when un-pressurized. This does remove any wear on the 2nd stage while in storage, but it does also mean that you can't soak the reg without it being pressurized. This would be a deal breaker for me.

There's really no reason for you to replace the MK15. But it's your money, spend it as you wish!

Back
Top Bottom