Atomic Aquatics question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Forgive me if this question has been asked too many times, but is it true that the all Atomic regs breath the same? If the only real difference is Ti vs. SS, it seems that a Z2 (Z3?) would be a better deal than the B2, M1 etc.
I recently sold something (I needed the cash for more scuba gear & figured a 5.2 Dynaudio system was good enough...I didn't really need 7.2) & was considering a Scubapro Mk20/G250 (I have a Mk15/G250 & Oceanic FDX10/Delta4) reg. I can get an AA Z2 for about the same $ (both are used) but am unsure if Atomic's least expensive reg would be...good enough?
FWIW-I'll soon be diving in cold, deep water.
Thanks

Yes, Z2 breathes just well as any other Atomic models for much less money. From pure practical point of view, there is really no reason to get Ti regulator. Your SP and Oceanic combo are all brass, they survive just fine. The corrosion resistance of Ti and SS are also overrated if you are reasonable careful with rinsing.

In you case, if budget is a concern, I will keep G250v, sell Oceanic combo, sell mk15, and buy a Mk20 or Mk25. They can be had for $100-$120, maybe less. It is the lowest budget way. You will have a very bullet proof combo.

The Z2 would be fine in terms of breathing. You are in the NE so I would be more concerned about the Z2 being unsealed. I'm on Long Island as well and I didn't get Atomic because of the extra hassle and service costs to get them sealed.

What is the price and what is this reg going to be used for, you already have the Oceanic and the Scubapro. Is it going to be used on a pony, single tank, need one in DIN, etc?

Fwiw-I understand that the Mk-15, 20 & 25 are similar; I DO plan on selling the Oceanic asap. I must admit that the main reason I'd opt for the AA over the SP is "coolness." However, AA "entry level" reg probably isn't "cooler" than the SPs mentioned.
My first reg was a SP Mk20/250 & I loved it! Assuming that there's no real/meaningful difference in performance between the SPMk15/20/25 w/ G250 vs the AA Z2, I might get the AA and decide which (AA or SP) to keep.
Hmmmm???
Thx!

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 01:13 PM ----------

The AA (or SP?) would probably be my primary, and DIN would be a wise choice. The Oceanic will be posted for sale today; my SP Mk15 will be for stage bottles. I may remove the Delta4 & use it as an Octopus...

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 01:16 PM ----------

BTW-I'll be doing mostly shallow dives for a while; I need to work my way back up (down?) to deeper water, but I know that I'll be back on wrecks soon enough. Plus, I'd rather use the same rig regardless so that I'm familiar with it at depth.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 02:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 02:06 PM ----------

How do Hog & Dive Rite (I have a DR BC) compare to AA & SP? They're quite inexpensive compared to many other brands & (the Hog at least) has been well reviewed. I don't know enough about them to inquire about specific models.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 02:07 PM ----------

How do Hog & Dive Rite (I have a DR BC) compare to AA & SP? They're quite inexpensive compared to many other brands & (the Hog at least) has been well reviewed. I don't know enough about them to inquire about specific models.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 03:19 PM ----------

May I ask which reg (Cptn) got & how it works for you in the waters? I'm from NC & the waters not too cold modt of the time; my SP Mk20/250 worked well there.
Doesn't AA offer an environmental kit? Would that work with the Z2?

Last edited:
Fwiw-I understand that the Mk-15, 20 & 25 are similar; I DO plan on selling the Oceanic asap. I must admit that the main reason I'd opt for the AA over the SP is "coolness." However, AA "entry level" reg probably isn't "cooler" than the SPs mentioned.

Once you start deciding on a regulator due to "coolness" you've pretty much exited the realm of practicality, but yes the MK15 is similar to the MK20 and 25. There are some differences, which I'd be happy to list for you if it matters. The bottom line is that you already have (MK15/250) a high performance regulator with which you could do any dive in the world. If you are ice diving, or in water under 40F, consider getting a sealed 1st stage, and in that case the SP or the atomic might not be the best choice anyway. You can pack your MK15 with grease, you can buy the atomic and have it packed with grease, both will work great in cold water, but probably in the long run if you are looking for a regulator specifically for ice-cold water the best solution is to get a sealed diaphragm.

I'm NOT doing any diving in sub-40*F temps. One IMPORTANT thing did come to mind...MIXED GAS! Since I'll be doing fairly shallow dives at first, I'll probably use Nitrox. I plan on going "mix" for the Deeep dives.
The AA is OK up to 40% O2; I'd imagine that the Mk15 is NOT O2 "cleaned???" This is a big deal as O2 cleaning isn't cheap.

Forgive me if this question has been asked too many times, but is it true that the all Atomic regs breath the same? If the only real difference is Ti vs. SS, it seems that a Z2 (Z3?) would be a better deal than the B2, M1 etc.

Been doing a lot of reading about the Atomics lately as I'm going to get one. The consensus is that they breathe the same. Main difference I see are the metals/plating and things like swivel hoses, LP swivel turret, # of LP ports and sealed 1st stage. You can get all of them sealed but it's optional (AKA extra cost) for the Z2 to B2.

The AA is OK up to 40% O2

All except for the M1, that can go higher.

I dive all apeks. I tried Z2s and M1s, was eh in my book, but everyone has a preference. I thought they breathed a little wet, some people like that. I have gotten so accustomed to the size and super dry air of my apeks that I may be more sensitive that others.

There is actually a nice apeks single tank set up that was just posted here today. It is a little high at $500, $400 would be a good price but it does come with a DIN to Yoke adapter and a spare yoke piece if you want to convert it. I would probably offer $450 all in (covers all shipping and any paypal fees).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...xtx20-octo-highland-pressure-gauge-500-a.html

The Z2 does come with a sealed option so if you happen to buy a non-sealed version I image you would have to buy the sealing case online or from a retailer and then spend the $20-30 in christolube to get it sealed (might want to call atomic on that)

A reg only needs to be O2 cleaned if you are breathing more than 40% so unless you plan on using that SP as a deco reg it doesn't need to be O2 cleaned.

You say you aren't going to be diving in less than 40 degree water, but you also want to dive deep.....it depends on the time of the year, but it can get pretty cold at depth in the NE.

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 08:42 PM ----------

I also don't like that I have to clean the Atomics with the regs pressurized because of the seat saving orifice....was another hassle I didn't want to deal with.

I have yet to dive here; as I stated, I'm from NC & haven't been on LI very long. If memory serves me, it can get down in the 50*F off the NC coast, and all of my diving was in the summer. Winter dives were the 72*F Florida springs. You have a point, though. I am going diving in a few weeks, but it's a shallow beach dive. I believe I was told ~50-60 fsw.
Since you're also on LI, maybe you can recommend a good LDS?
I'll check-out the listing; THANKS!

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 09:41 PM ----------

I wasn't aware that they had to be pressurized to clean the AAs! THAT is a big deal to me, too. I really need more info on that; it alone could cause me to eschew them! I never would have guessed that...thanks!

---------- Post added September 22nd, 2015 at 08:42 PM ----------

I also don't like that I have to clean the Atomics with the regs pressurized because of the seat saving orifice....was another hassle I didn't want to deal with.

AA's reg need to be pressurized to clean up? Could you please explain more on this?
Coz I am considering between Z2 (sealed), MK17/G260

btw, is Dive Rite OW set worth considering? It is now on sale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom