Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Time will tell but if you are sharing the technologies with third parties why is there a need to switch between device drives when using the Cobalt software and third party software?

Brian

Atomic's software was started first, and the developer wrote a driver. Sven uses the open source Libdivecomputer driver, it was developed later. An accident of history, though I agree, not a particularly helpful one.
I do understand, and agree with, you points. I'd much rather that the SW solutions have been all third party, apart from the firmware update. It has created a lot of unnecessary ill will.

Ron

Time will tell but if you are sharing the technologies with third parties why is there a need to switch between device drives when using the Cobalt software and third party software?

Both the libdivecomputer library and the Atomics application are using the open source libusb library for the underlying USB communication. However the Atomics application is using the older libusb version 0.1, while I'm using the more recent version 1.0 for libdivecomputer. The reason why I went for the newer version is that's the old version is not under active development anymore. Unfortunately both versions are very different. The old version relies on the libusb0 driver, while the new version uses the standard Microsoft winusb driver. There are plans to add back the support for the libusb0 driver to the libusb 1.0 library, but it's not done yet.

It's a little inconvenient, but luckily there is an installer available that allows you to switch between the libusb0 and winusb drivers very easily.

Both the libdivecomputer library and the Atomics application are using the open source libusb library for the underlying USB communication. However the Atomics application is using the older libusb version 0.1, while I'm using the more recent version 1.0 for libdivecomputer. The reason why I went for the newer version is that's the old version is not under active development anymore. Unfortunately both versions are very different. The old version relies on the libusb0 driver, while the new version uses the standard Microsoft winusb driver. There are plans to add back the support for the libusb0 driver to the libusb 1.0 library, but it's not done yet.

It's a little inconvenient, but luckily there is an installer available that allows you to switch between the libusb0 and winusb drivers very easily.

Great, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Ron

Thank you also for the information. As you say the installer makes switching pretty painless. As for me I plan to just stay with Diving Log so I plan to just leave that driver installed. Goo to know that that is the current technology. :)

Confirming that the firmware upgrade went smoothly, will dive it tomorrow. Win 7 64bit.
Just follow the instructions, it's really simple.
I hope that the compass has been improved since it was nearly useless before, especially when it just sometimes decided to stop working, no matter how many times its calibrated.

Confirming that the firmware upgrade went smoothly, will dive it tomorrow. Win 7 64bit.
Just follow the instructions, it's really simple.
I hope that the compass has been improved since it was nearly useless before, especially when it just sometimes decided to stop working, no matter how many times its calibrated.
Could you PM me with details of your compass problems? When you say "quits working" do you mean just won't display correct heading, or shuts off entirely?
The compass should be working well, before or after the update, but if you have a bad chip the unit should be replaced. I can help with some diagnostics- also do make sure that calibration is done away from any ferrous metal- even bolts or nails in tabletops have thrown off calibration.

Ron

Hello Ron, to change the subject from software issues to ZAGG screen protectors, I have once again checked the ZAGG site and no sign of a COBALT 'ZAGG' screen protector. I know you don't 'run' ZAGG or anything, just wondering about any info on an ETA from ZAGG on that ?

2nd minor point, being the gear perfectionist that I am, I've already 'invented' some improvements over 6 months ago, to 'enhance' my 2 COBALTS (custom made ZAGGs/custom stainless steel clipoff attachment/Blue Reef console cover) and now I'm prototyping an improved HP hose idea I have, I'm in the middle of ordering the assorted parts so I can build one 'next generation' COBALT HP hose, if it works out in reality I'll share with everyone what I did, so that perhaps Atomic can enhance the 'coolness' factor!

Hello Ron, to change the subject from software issues to ZAGG screen protectors, I have once again checked the ZAGG site and no sign of a COBALT 'ZAGG' screen protector. I know you don't 'run' ZAGG or anything, just wondering about any info on an ETA from ZAGG on that ?

2nd minor point, being the gear perfectionist that I am, I've already 'invented' some improvements over 6 months ago, to 'enhance' my 2 COBALTS (custom made ZAGGs/custom stainless steel clipoff attachment/Blue Reef console cover) and now I'm prototyping an improved HP hose idea I have, I'm in the middle of ordering the assorted parts so I can build one 'next generation' COBALT HP hose, if it works out in reality I'll share with everyone what I did, so that perhaps Atomic can enhance the 'coolness' factor!
I confess that I was very late sending off a dummy case to Zagg, so I'm not surprised it hasn't turned up as yet- though I believe earlier on this thread someone goat the spec for a nearly exact fit from them. Post pictures of your mods when you can.
Ron

I confess that I was very late sending off a dummy case to Zagg, so I'm not surprised it hasn't turned up as yet- though I believe earlier on this thread someone goat the spec for a nearly exact fit from them. Post pictures of your mods when you can.
Ron

Thanks for the update, Ron. Sure, if my next generation mods work out, I'll share the results!

Ron,

I had to send my Cobalt back in to have the compass reset and i think they said they updated the firmware. I just want to check what version should the computer show my say's it is 1.10/1 is that current.

thanks,

Dean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom