Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if RonR has any advice for someone that seems like he followed all the proper steps but seems to have bricked their Cobalt. Seems dead. When I retry to flash it nothing happens. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I've been out of town, and am working my way (backwards) through the questions- see the reply I posted above for instructions. The overwhelming majority of problems people have had are rooted in not locating the Cobalt_110_EndUser_4.hex file properly on their local hard drive. The procedure is slightly different for PC and Mac, and follows conventions for those platforms. If the flash tool is not pointed to the correct file, the update will not complete.

You have not damaged the Cobalt. It's just necessary to get the updater running and pointed to the correct file, and it will come back up.

Ron

And I just realized I replied to your post twice- maybe time to sign off for the night.

RonR - Atomic should pay ypu a lot of dollars for helping folks. I used the PC version of the software and now my nice pretty new cobalt is dead. You think they could overnight one to VA tomorrow 19 May. They will get one hell of an ear full from me and my LDS tomorrow. All I can say is my Suunto is looking good again real good. IMHO the cobalt SUCKS as it stands right now. Let's see what the boys at Atomic intend to do for me now. The only way I can see them making me anywhere near happy is to overnight one to my LDS so I have it for classes I am teaching this weekend and I mean a whole brand new one in the box ready to go..... I hope they intend to make one of their long time spending customers happy!
Grow up.

Thanks Ron. I have a Mac and couldn't save the hex file to the hard drive. It was automatically unzipped in the download folder and that's where I loaded the Cobalt from. I had to use the search function to get the file to open. Once I did that, all went well. V 1.10/1 is verified. Changed the time and date but also found that I had to re-establish the first low air alarm limit. Pretty minor.

Thanks for the correction on the warning for dead computers. Its still the only notice for a fix on the instruction sheet. Its great to have someone like you to help us early adopters.

Don

Thanks Ron. I have a Mac and couldn't save the hex file to the hard drive. It was automatically unzipped in the download folder and that's where I loaded the Cobalt from.

That's the default behavior for Safari and most other browsers on the Mac (though if you right-click or option-click on the download link you should be able to specify a different destination)- downloads go to the downloads folder and are automatically unzipped. You have to specify a different destination for downloads in the browser's preferences if you want things to go anywhere else by default. But the downloads folder is on your hard drive, and there is nothing wrong with loading the file from there. Once it's downloaded you can drag it somewhere else if you want to store it elsewhere.

Are you saying that if you look at the 1st segment at the beginning of a dive (in the profile tab) you don't see the correct starting pressure? We see the correct data in all the dives we have downloaded here. However I do think there is a problem in some instances displaying the correct tank data in the Dive Details tab center pane- is this what you are seeing? It seems to work properly when mix 1 is selected as primary, but not always if another mix is selected, depending on how the tank size is specified- this is only the display of the summary "start gas" information, it is shown correctly in the dive profile segments. Also, the display of tank size seems unnecessarily confusing- a tank specified as 100 cf at 3200 psi, for instance, shows as 100, while a tank specified as 11.9 liters shows as 119. Again, this is just in that summary panel, the data in the profile and in the computer is correct, and the correct mix and tank size is logged with the dive segments. We will try to get this addressed.

As far as we can tell, the developer chose to average the depth inside the Windows app, based on averaging the segments that are transferred over from the Cobalt- which could be each 5, 15, 30 or more seconds depending on what you have set as the frequency for data storage. Within the Cobalt itself, a running average is kept with every sample of depth- at least every two seconds. So it's possible the values could be different (though it should not be by much), and the value in the Cobalt itself would always be more accurate, since it is based on a much faster sample rate and averaging many more samples. We have not seen any examples where the max depth differs from the Cobalt.

Ron

Ron

I cant see anywhere where it shows the tank start and end pressure, this is quite clearly shown on the computer itself and i like that info as it gives a good indicator of how you did on that dive. If it is in the profile area i cant see it easily (got it, i have to select the pressure indicator from the top menu bar. What im on about is a quick and easy ref like the computer does, start pressure and end pressure -simples). Its also a bit weird that pressure is shown for gas 2 and 3 mix but not for 1. I suppose if i look at those values then it is there but not what i would have expected to be fair, In fact i just checked again and gas 1 and 2 show the same pressure for all dives! (No end pressure for those gases as that is shown for gas 1!). I also dont understand why the developer would choose to show different values (no matter how small the differences might be) in the app from the computer, doesnt make sense to me. There are places in the main dive window centre panel for starting and end pressures show why cant we have this detail there, where we would generally expect it t be? Same with the tank size, i can enter it into the computer quite easily in metric or imperial so why doesnt the application show it in the same manner. It seems that Atomic went out of their way to come up with an excellent interface for the computer then allowed the developer to blow all of that work out of the water. Like i said i will be using manual log book mode anyway but we waited such a long time that im a little disappointed that it seems a bit messy when a little more effort and thought would have made it just short of amazing thats all.

The firmware update seems fine but i havent dived with it yet, you can be sure ill dive with my backup wrist mount when i do just to be sure that things dont go wrong.

Ron,

All is well. I had tried to right click/option click and tried to drag it across to another folder but luck there. So, went the other route and did a disk search for the hex file. Miraculously, It became an active file in down load folder and I could execute. Go figure. Macs just operate differently.

Don

I'll use your post as a jumping off point to discuss the download software.
A few questions for anyone, perhaps RonR would have the best idea. I have spent a couple of hours now with the cobalt log and have a few questions.
Is there a plan for managing equiptment so a person can log what equiptment was used? Perhaps keeping a record of S/N's as well service dates?
I believe the serial number of the cobalt is automatically entered when you download, and dives are sorted by serial #. I've used the software to download dives from multiple Cobalts, and that's what I've seen. There is no provision for tracking service dates that I'm aware of- which brings up your next questions:

Any plans to support the ability to attach pictures to a dive profile to log observations?
Any plan to expand the printing capability so that in addition to the profile you could get the location, date, time,perhaps your buddy info and dive notes on a printout for hard copy use? I was able to print the graphic window but not the data windows. :-(
Brian

As far as more features like storing photos, maps, buddy lists, equipment records, reviews, etc. I should recap the history.

Our recommendation to Atomic originally was to not provide download software at all, but simply provide the interface cables, NOT to charge extra for a "download kit", and to make the drivers open source to third party developers of dive log applications. This they have done, with our support, and frankly I think they should get a LOT of credit for being the only major manufacturer to directly support third party dive log application developers. People like Jef at Libdivecomputer.org have put in a lot of effort to reverse engineer interfaces and drivers for Suunto and Oceanic and others, but Atomic gave the go-ahead for us to work directly with them. That's better for our customers. The result is that some excellent and feature rich dive log programs like Diving Log Diving Log 5.0 - Scuba Log, Scuba Logbook, Dive Log, Divelog - Logbook software for scuba diving - Logbuch Software zum Tauchen for Windows and MacDive http://www.mac-dive.com/ for Mac directly support the Cobalt (and more are on the way). They have support from Atomic, so you don't have to fear a future update breaking the dive log connection. These programs are very reasonably priced (± $25) and provide far richer capabilities than Atomic's (or any other manufacturer's) software will. If you are really wanting to keep a detailed digital dive log, I think one of them would be very worthwhile. I had argued that our customers are better served by our product if they have a variety of download packages to chose from, written for a variety of platforms, by developers who are focused on dive log software rather than seeing it as an add-on.

I'd make an analogy to digital cameras. If you buy a Canon, or Nikon, or Fuji, or Olympus, or other digital camera, they typically include (usually very basic) download and image editing software. I'd venture to guess that most purchasers never use the included software, but use their Photoshop, or Lightroom, or iPhoto, or other software that has better capabilities.

The only reason proprietary dive computer download software got established is that major manufactures like Suunto, Oceanic, and Uwatek initially treated download capability as an add on sale, and charged extra for cables and software. It was therefore in their interest to keep their interface proprietary and to not cooperate with third party developers. Why buy a $100 "download kit" when you could get better software for 1/4 the price? Atomic, to their credit, has opened the Cobalt interface to other developers, and provides the cable, connector, and the interface freely.

After all the agony and ill-will generated by their decision to give away software, rather than just provide an interface and support 3rd party solutions, I'd be surprised if they chose to provide more than bare bones capability. The most important part of the package is the firmware update function for the Cobalt.

Ron

Ron

I cant see anywhere where it shows the tank start and end pressure, this is quite clearly shown on the computer itself and i like that info as it gives a good indicator of how you did on that dive. If it is in the profile area i cant see it easily (got it, i have to select the pressure indicator from the top menu bar. What im on about is a quick and easy ref like the computer does, start pressure and end pressure -simples). Its also a bit weird that pressure is shown for gas 2 and 3 mix but not for 1. I suppose if i look at those values then it is there but not what i would have expected to be fair, In fact i just checked again and gas 1 and 2 show the same pressure for all dives! (No end pressure for those gases as that is shown for gas 1!).
We think this is confusing as well. The Cobalt is only going to log the gas pressure for the gas selected as the primary- on the hose- which could be 1, 2, or 3 for any given dive. You would only see an end pressure displayed for a particular gas you had selected as primary. So for any dive, only one gas will show an ending pressure- though in the interface all appear and all seem to have equal weight. The initial pressures you see could be for tank sizes that are specified as CF @ PSI (as in 80 cf @ 3000 psi). But you could also specify a tank as 12 liters, which would show as 120 with a zero start pressure. If you look at the dive segments, the data is correct, but the summary display is not too clear.

I also dont understand why the developer would choose to show different values (no matter how small the differences might be) in the app from the computer, doesnt make sense to me.
Nor to us. MacDive uses the values from the Cobalt, which we pass with the dive data. I'm not sure about Diving Log, but I expect they use the Cobalt's data as well. We will see what we can do about this, I'm guessing it can change. There may be some difference in using slightly different constants for conversion of pressure to depth- the Cobalt passes pressure readings only.

There are places in the main dive window centre panel for starting and end pressures show why cant we have this detail there, where we would generally expect it t be? Same with the tank size, i can enter it into the computer quite easily in metric or imperial so why doesnt the application show it in the same manner. It seems that Atomic went out of their way to come up with an excellent interface for the computer then allowed the developer to blow all of that work out of the water. Like i said i will be using manual log book mode anyway but we waited such a long time that im a little disappointed that it seems a bit messy when a little more effort and thought would have made it just short of amazing thats all.

The firmware update seems fine but i havent dived with it yet, you can be sure ill dive with my backup wrist mount when i do just to be sure that things dont go wrong.
We were just discussing this with them. The tank size is confusing if you specify it in liters- it's passes as an integer and should be converted back to a decimal value. I'm sure this can be changed.
We're responsible for the Cobalt interface and design, but didn't have much to do with the desktop SW. All the same we want to make it reasonably useable. The firmware update should provide some real improvements, you will notice much faster response to tank pressure changes. I'll try to put up a list of the changes here soon.

Ron

I have successfully unbricked my Cobalt with your help. Strong work! Thanks again.

Just for other users that might be slow - like me. For Macs - plug in Cobalt - run program - choose file - open - blue barber pole starts spinning - unplug USB - plug in USB - wait about 90 seconds - enjoy.

I'll use your post as a jumping off point to discuss the download software.

I'd make an analogy to digital cameras. If you buy a Canon, or Nikon, or Fuji, or Olympus, or other digital camera, they typically include (usually very basic) download and image editing software. I'd venture to guess that most purchasers never use the included software, but use their Photoshop, or Lightroom, or iPhoto, or other software that has better capabilities.

After all the agony and ill-will generated by their decision to give away software, rather than just provide an interface and support 3rd party solutions, I'd be surprised if they chose to provide more than bare bones capability. The most important part of the package is the firmware update function for the Cobalt.

Ron

As one of the more outspoken critics I'd like to again thank you RonR for the support you continually give. I and most if not everyone appreciate your time and thoughtfull replies. That said:

I was promised software on a par with the Suunto DM3.1 in February. I was told it would be available within the next two weeks. Never was that corrected or retracted. I am afraid that now there is a real sour taste in my mouth. I hear and understand what you are saying. I believe you get my point as well and fully comprehend my point of view and the magnitude of my diappointment. Rant off!

Ok I agree that there are some really good third party software packages available. I will be using Sven's Diving Log 5.0. The Beta version 05 works fine with the Cobalt however there is a catch. You need to use a different driver than the stock driver installed by the Cobalt software. I am a geeky kind of guy so it was easy for me to understand after a quick e-mail from Sven. From some of the other relies here others may have a bit of a problem getting it to work. Time will tell but if you are sharing the technologies with third parties why is there a need to switch between device drives when using the Cobalt software and third party software?

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom