Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Akimbo there were a few false starts. Mostly having to do with opening the hex file on the Mac. Once I used the search function - no prob finding and loading it. It won't open from the download window and you can't safe it to disk.

Checked it out using the demo mode and it seems to be working just fine.

RonR, thanks for continuing to track the progress and at least keep us abreast of the saga. Without your words we would all be in the dark.

PS. I still can't differentiate the green and yellow colors on the saturation bar but the red really stands out. However, I'm just happy to have the computer and it works great. I couldn't be more happy underwater with it.

Don

Just as an example it doesnt seem to log the start pressure of the tank or the size of the tank for a start.
Are you saying that if you look at the 1st segment at the beginning of a dive (in the profile tab) you don't see the correct starting pressure? We see the correct data in all the dives we have downloaded here. However I do think there is a problem in some instances displaying the correct tank data in the Dive Details tab center pane- is this what you are seeing? It seems to work properly when mix 1 is selected as primary, but not always if another mix is selected, depending on how the tank size is specified- this is only the display of the summary "start gas" information, it is shown correctly in the dive profile segments. Also, the display of tank size seems unnecessarily confusing- a tank specified as 100 cf at 3200 psi, for instance, shows as 100, while a tank specified as 11.9 liters shows as 119. Again, this is just in that summary panel, the data in the profile and in the computer is correct, and the correct mix and tank size is logged with the dive segments. We will try to get this addressed.

Then the max depth and average depth differ from the app as opposed to the computer itself… Whats more confusing is where did the app get the data from if it differs from the computer itself?

As far as we can tell, the developer chose to average the depth inside the Windows app, based on averaging the segments that are transferred over from the Cobalt- which could be each 5, 15, 30 or more seconds depending on what you have set as the frequency for data storage. Within the Cobalt itself, a running average is kept with every sample of depth- at least every two seconds. So it's possible the values could be different (though it should not be by much), and the value in the Cobalt itself would always be more accurate, since it is based on a much faster sample rate and averaging many more samples. We have not seen any examples where the max depth differs from the Cobalt.

Ron

A few questions for anyone, perhaps RonR would have the best idea. I have spent a couple of hours now with the cobalt log and have a few questions.
Is there a plan for managing equiptment so a person can log what equiptment was used? Perhaps keeping a record of S/N's as well service dates?
Any plans to support the ability to attach pictures to a dive profile to log observations?
Any plan to expand the printing capability so that in addition to the profile you could get the location, date, time,perhaps your buddy info and dive notes on a printout for hard copy use? I was able to print the graphic window but not the data windows. :-(
Brian

I wonder if RonR has any advice for someone that seems like he followed all the proper steps but seems to have bricked their Cobalt. Seems dead. When I retry to flash it nothing happens. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I wonder if RonR has any advice for someone that seems like he followed all the proper steps but seems to have bricked their Cobalt. Seems dead. When I retry to flash it nothing happens. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I believe the instruction sheet tells you that if you brick it then you have get it to the LDS or to Atomic so they can reset the software. I worried about that last night when I had to try multiple times to get the firmware to load. Luckily all went well.

Wow,

Same thing happened to me never have gotten it wet I updated it and when the connection closed it never came alive so now the Postively Outstanding Software HAS KILLED MY (#)$*)(#$#@*($@#$ *(@_#_$*( COBALT.....NICE!!! RON any suggestions or do I now have a #)($#)($*#)($)( paper weight.:(

RonR - Atomic should pay ypu a lot of dollars for helping folks. I used the PC version of the software and now my nice pretty new cobalt is dead. You think they could overnight one to VA tomorrow 19 May. They will get one hell of an ear full from me and my LDS tomorrow. All I can say is my Suunto is looking good again real good. IMHO the cobalt SUCKS as it stands right now. Let's see what the boys at Atomic intend to do for me now. The only way I can see them making me anywhere near happy is to overnight one to my LDS so I have it for classes I am teaching this weekend and I mean a whole brand new one in the box ready to go..... I hope they intend to make one of their long time spending customers happy!

With the firmware updater you should be able to recover, but the procedure is different depending on if you are using a PC or Mac. For several users this has happened because they did not locate the correct file- Cobalt_110_EndUser_4.hex- on their local hard drive and attempted the update with some other file, or the still zipped file.

PM me with the details and we should be able to get you back up.
Ron

Wow,

Same thing happened to me never have gotten it wet I updated it and when the connection closed it never came alive so now the Postively Outstanding Software HAS KILLED MY (#)$*)(#$#@*($@#$ *(@_#_$*( COBALT.....NICE!!! RON any suggestions or do I now have a #)($#)($*#)($)( paper weight.:(
The first thing the firmware update program does is to delete the previous program in the Cobalt. If it doesn't complete the process, or isn't pointed to the correct file on your local hard drive, it won't have a new program to install, and it won't come back up. But nothing fundamental has been harmed, it's just a matter of getting the correct firmware loaded into the Cobalt. This should be pretty simple:

1) Connect the USB side of the adapter to the Cobalt, and plug the USB cable into both your PC and the Cobalt adapter. Since the unit is dead, you won't see a "connected" message.

2) In the PC updater/ dive log program, select "flash the DC" from the File menu, then click the button on the top of the main screen that says "Locate Flash". Using the window that comes up, locate the flash file that you downloaded and unzipped from the Atomic site, wherever you have placed it on your local hard drive. It will be called "Cobalt_110_EndUser_4.hex" If it is any other file, or if it still has a .zip extension, the update will fail. There is a picture on the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Updates web page that shows what this should look like. Select Open in the window, and this file name will be placed in the field opposite the "Locate Flash" button. If it's not there, stop, go back, and find the file.

3) Click the Start button just under the "Locate Flash" button. You should start to see little balls floating from the computer picture to the Cobalt picture, and an occasional update of the data read. After something under two minutes, the process should complete, "connection closed" will appear on the PC screen, and your Cobalt should come up to the set time/ date screen a few seconds later. If you see "connection closed" immediately after starting the update, then the program did not find the right file on your PC.

This will work even if the Cobalt has been previously killed by a failed upload attempt. If you have any problem with this PM me and I will help you work through it. Rest assured, there is nothing you can do in attempting to update the firmware that will actually damage the Cobalt.

Mac users can do almost the same thing, but they need to find the file inside the window that comes up when they click the "start update" button, and if they are starting with a "dead" Cobalt, they need to unplug and replug in the Cobalt USB adapter AFTER they both click the start update button AND locate the Cobalt_110_EndUser_4.hex file and select OPEN, i.e. after starting the update process.

I believe the instruction sheet tells you that if you brick it then you have get it to the LDS or to Atomic so they can reset the software. I worried about that last night when I had to try multiple times to get the firmware to load. Luckily all went well.

That was true with earlier versions, if a hard reset (battery removal and replacement) was required. However it is possible to update the computer using either the Windows or Mac flash tools following essentially the same steps (outlined in a reply above).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom