Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just received my Cobalt I set up the attachment as per the attached picture. I have the retractor on a "D" ring on my right shoulder and a not retractor on my left. When I am on the beach or my BCD in not on me the SPG or now the computer will be in the non-retractor on my left. When I get the BCD on and am set to dive I will re-clip into the retractor on my right. The computer then sits close at hand on my chest with the hose safely under my left arm pit with my dry suit inflater. I can extend the computer easily for my old eyes to be able to focus or to use the compass.

My set up :wink: YMMV FWIW :D

BT

Attachments

• IMG_1262-2.jpg
    IMG_1262-2.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 487
RonR, here is another suggestion to pass along for the next version. Use Gorilla Glass on the unit. I love it on my phone and would go a long way towards making the Cobalt successors feel more like a high end product. My Cobalt actually came from the factory still in the plastic with a small scratch on the face. Not enough to make me cry but goes to show how fragile it is.

RonR, here is another suggestion to pass along for the next version. Use Gorilla Glass on the unit...
Already looking into it for the wrist mount. Thanks. It wouldn't work on the console, unfortunately. The button design requires recesses in the lens.

Already looking into it for the wrist mount. Thanks. It wouldn't work on the console, unfortunately. The button design requires recesses in the lens.

I have been thinking of a hybrid console-wrist concept. Bear with me and try to think outside the box a little. If you accept the premise that there is a cost, reliability, complexity compromise with a wireless transmitter and the size is the major reservation on making the Cobalt console into a wrist mount; then this may work. Picture an HP hose that goes from the first stage to a module secured to a holster mounted to a cam band or BC. This module would hold the temperature sensor, batteries, pressure transducers, computer, and USB connection. A small wire would then go from the module to a wrist mounted display with buttons similar to rebreathers.

I suppose the compromise would come down to the inconvenience of the wire and module versus the possible cost savings and improved reliability. Minor advantages are you wouldn’t have to worry about losing the computer if a strap failed, you wouldn’t have to compromise battery capacity for space, and you wouldn’t have to deal with that big honking transmitter sticking out of your first stage at weird and susceptible angles.

This just lead me to another thought. What if the module had greater battery capacity that could be used for a wrist mounted LED light built into the display module (canister light)? This might offset the consumer reservation against the wire and add value that competitors can’t offer. Circuitry could shut the light down if the battery fell below a reserve level needed by the computer.

I like the idea of moving the heft of the unit to the 1st stage. Basically the pressure, temp, etc mount on the HP port of the 1st stage with wire rather than a hose heading to the console. The console would be the computer, display, horn and maybe house the battery. Given the new consoles lightweight and thin wire one could easily attach it to a forearm/wrist or use it like a traditional console.

A diver could disconnect the console from the wire and quickly move the computer from one sensor pack to another. If something breaks or floods only part of the unit would need repair. Pretty clever if the engineering design worked out.

I like the idea of moving the heft of the unit to the 1st stage. Basically the pressure, temp, etc mount on the HP port of the 1st stage with wire rather than a hose heading to the console…

I really don’t like having something as big as a wireless transmitter sticking out of my first stage. It makes it harder to position the regulator on different rigs and is susceptible to snapping off on accidental impact. That is why I proposed an HP hose from the first stage to the module/battery module. I doubt something that could screw directly into the first stage could hold enough stuff anyway. The more I think about combining the wrist mounted display with a canister light the more I warm up to the concept.

It may be a dumb idea but perhaps it will prompt great ideas to evolve. :coffee:

Your comment about the horn is a good one. Size and power would not be so limited so you could really make alarms loud.

Soon - it is coming soon!! :wink:

Not sure when soon is. I had been told within 2 week since last October by Atomic personnel. Then since early February 2011 it would be ready any day now!

Sorry Ron I know you don't control this but the promises that have been made then broken will prevent me from being an early adapter again for new Atomic products. Until a product is fully supported in the future I will not even consider Atomic Aquatics. Someone is really missing the ball here. When I miss delivery promises in my business I lose customers to the competition. Promise dates missed - even ambiguous ones - are promises broken in the eyes of a majority of customers. Marketing 101.

Again sorry Ron, your participation here is most appreciated and my comments are certainly not directed towards you in any manner but some one is really out of touch with reality, to keep missing implied dates for the software availability is bad business. Someone should get a proper handle on the situation and come forward with a realistic date and then make sure they hold to it o retract any promises and deal with the fallout.

I do like the computer but am woefully disappointed by all the broken promises with regard to the software availability. As such my purchase is not complete and I am in limbo.

I'm a little more forgiving, but I understand your frustration.

The rumors about the Cobalt started flying fast and furious well over a year ago. At the time, the release date was thought to be in the spring. I remember thinking that for sure I'd be diving with one when I went to Belize in July.

Obviously, that didn't happen.

I was one of the first in line to get a Cobalt, having plunked down a deposit in September and if memory serves it finally arrived in November.

So I guess I'm just used to waiting when it comes to the Cobalt. :D

As far as their other products, they are all top shelf, and we're an Atomic Aquatics user family. If AA makes it, we've got it and are very pleased with it. If I were to lose any piece of my Atomic gear, I'd immediately replace it with the exact same brand and model, which is a pretty solid testament as to what I think of their stuff.

Thanks for the photo of your attachment setup. I'm still messing around with mine, but I'll probably end up with the same non-retractor clip per your photo with one on the right shoulder strap D-ring for diving and one on the left shoulder strap D-ring for not. As a general rule, I'm not big on retractors but I'll give one a try on the right shoulder strap to see how I like it.

As far as their other products, they are all top shelf, and we're an Atomic Aquatics user family. If AA makes it, we've got it and are very pleased with it. If I were to lose any piece of my Atomic gear, I'd immediately replace it with the exact same brand and model, which is a pretty solid testament as to what I think of their stuff.

Feel the same way. Looking forward to their travel BC (one can dream anyway).

The software is taking a long time to roll out. How hard is it to suck down a datastream into a SQLite database and then use some quality 3rd party controls such as DevExpress or Telerik to render the data? Building a CRUD for rest of it should be easy as well. Even the postback for the firmware shouldn't be that hard. Now the driver itself may be a PIA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom