Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on my 30+ years in this business, working with a variety of companies, The Cobalt’s return rate is in the same range as other new, sophisticated computer products. Compared to something like a simple puck, something that has had a basic design in place for years and years, it’s higher.

The more capabilities you add- air integration, audible alerts, electronic compasses, color screens, in situ rechargeable batteries, automatic activation, sophisticated user interfaces- the more opportunities for something to go wrong with some particular feature. You can't break a function the computer doesn't have to begin with. That said, the electronics and firmware in the Cobalt have proven very robust- understanding that every electronic device has some rate of component failure. Some new features, like the rechargeable batteries, have improved reliability. It’s never necessary for the user to open up the Cobalt's case, and each case opening carries some risk of a failed seal.

Most Cobalt problems have come from water intrusion of some sort. Atomic has been steadily addressing those issues, so current products have many fewer such problems than early production. That’s pretty much how things have gone with every new product I’ve ever been involved with- there’s a period after introduction where you’re refining design and production, and things get better as you do that. Atomic’s customer service and responsiveness have been outstanding.

We had one specific disaster with bad depth sensors, right when the Cobalt 2 first came out- that timing was just chance, it could have happened to us earlier with the Cobalt 1, or to anyone else (Shearwater, who we like and admire a lot, uses the same part- as do many others). The problem was the sensor manufacturer's, but of course it became ours. During that early Cobalt 2 production period returns were way too high, but Atomic quickly halted production, replaced a lot of computers, and fixed the problem. This coincided with an eagerly awaited new product introduction, and some dealers had many failures clustered together, so that created a really bad impression.

More recent production is looking more like what we expect from a mature product. I can also say all of these design refinements are being incorporated into the Cobalt wrist design, to make it as reliable as can be.

Ron

great news that the wrist design is moving forward!

RonR I have an Atomic Cobalt. It acted up on a dive in Belize this week. Air pressure would show 100 lbs then 5000lbs. My depth was showing 75 feet when I was at 35 feet. I called the dive short. The screen was showing error in yellow at the top.
When I surfaced it just went blank. Have now tried recharging the only charger I have is usb but into a wall charger. I've tried the laft button and select for 11 secs and more. I also opened it up to reinstall the battery only to find that its actually hard wired. At this point not sure if I have a 1 or 2 . Just a blank scree. I also tried submerging it in water....
help?

The battery isn't hard wired, the small PCB the three wires are connected to can be unplugged from the pins sticking out of the case. But it sounds as if this unit might have bigger problems than not restarting.

The yellow banner could indicate a depth sensor failure, for instance, or bad sensor readings being detected. Or a deco violation, depending on the text message in the banner. I can't diagnose from a distance, but the symptoms you describe could be consistent with a leak letting water in at the HP end, or a sensor failure.

You don't say how old this Cobalt is, or what the message was on the screen. If it's a Cobalt 1 the Back and Select buttons don't generate a reset.

If you can try a reset by unplugging and re-inserting the battery you might be able to see the log- however if it did not complete the dive you would see only dashes.

Sorry this happened on a trip, it sounds as if this Cobalt needs to go back to Atomic for service. I would suggest contacting Adan there for a return authorization, adan.campos@huishoutdoors.com. They are very good about this sort of thing.

Ron

The battery isn't hard wired, the small PCB the three wires are connected to can be unplugged from the pins sticking out of the case. But it sounds as if this unit might have bigger problems than not restarting.

The yellow banner could indicate a depth sensor failure, for instance, or bad sensor readings being detected. Or a deco violation, depending on the text message in the banner. I can't diagnose from a distance, but the symptoms you describe could be consistent with a leak letting water in at the HP end, or a sensor failure.

You don't say how old this Cobalt is, or what the message was on the screen. If it's a Cobalt 1 the Back and Select buttons don't generate a reset.

If you can try a reset by unplugging and re-inserting the battery you might be able to see the log- however if it did not complete the dive you would see only dashes.

Sorry this happened on a trip, it sounds as if this Cobalt needs to go back to Atomic for service. I would suggest contacting Adan there for a return authorization, adan.campos@huishoutdoors.com. They are very good about this sort of thing.

Ron
Thanks Ron. Took the battery out today and put it back in. Did not boot up. I'll take it for repair when I get back to Canada.
yes too bad it happened on a trip.....

Ron,
I hope you are still monitoring this thread. I have a Cobalt 1. A couple of my buttons stopped working so I used the instructions that I go from you some time ago to remove the cover. I cleaned the magnets which were rusty and that seemed to help a little but I still do have use of all the buttons. What does it take to get a new button pad or magnets. I know from reading this forum that this is a known problem. Hope you can help I am going on a trip soon.

Ron,
I hope you are still monitoring this thread. I have a Cobalt 1. A couple of my buttons stopped working so I used the instructions that I go from you some time ago to remove the cover. I cleaned the magnets which were rusty and that seemed to help a little but I still do have use of all the buttons. What does it take to get a new button pad or magnets. I know from reading this forum that this is a known problem. Hope you can help I am going on a trip soon.

Yes, that is an issue with Cobalt 1's and some early Cobalt 2's. Just leaning them up won't be a fix. You can get a new keypad by contacting Atomic directly, I would suggest emailing Adan there, adan.campos@huishoutdoors.com , and explaining the situation. The new magnets are molded in one piece and have been impervious to corrosion.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom