Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Cobalt Atomic, we dove with it yesterday and the pressure showed 0 psi, my manual psi gauge showed 2500 after completing the dive while on the surface the cobalt was showing 3700 psi, I had this same problem exactly 1 yr ago sent this computer in and now its doing it again. This computer has been sent in 4 times before, the buttons failed twice, once for the recall and once for the pressure sensor.

I'm assuming this is a Cobalt 1? What is the firmware version?
When did it show zero- the whole dive? And was it showing 3700 when disconnected, or connected to a tank? Has it previously been displaying correct pressure readings on other dives? Displaying very inaccurate high pressure readings is going to be due to a hardware problem with the sensor or it's connections, or even potentially a leak. More specifics would help us to figure out the issue- or more info on the previous repair.

Sounds like you have had more than your share of problems. I'm sure Atomic will get it working properly, having had a previous repair will definitely get their attention.

Ron

firmware is 1.42, the dive starting psi was 2800 then middle of the dive it to zero. the 3700 psi was while it was still connected to the tank, manual gauge was reading 2000. It worked fine while in the Cayman's last month, it only has 20 dives on it since it was sent in for the same reason.

I think that may be an example of wire leads being damaged or over flexed during the previous repair- Atomic has since changed how those are done. That kind of jumping around sounds like wires that are broken internally and making intermittent contact. In any case, Atomic needs to replace the HP sensor.

I have PM'd you with contact info for arranging a return.

- Ron

Well, I just got my Atomic Cobalt back from Huish today. I sent it in because of a fine mist on the inside of the screen. They replaced the whole computer and did not charge me a penny. I am so impressed with their customer service. It is some of the best I have ever seen. The computer I sent them was approximately 3 years old and the warranty was for for 1 year. I think it is good business for them to replace it, because they have been the only ones to work on it or open the case. So basically, I have a brand new Cobalt with only one dive on it and that was the test dive they do at the factory. They have been fantastic. I wish all my other gear had such great service. I am so happy to have my computer back.

I have the cobalt 2 that I just purchased, on my 2nd dive here in the caymans the cobalt went dead as I touched the bottom and than flooded out. I call atomic, and they sent me to diver supply to just change out the computer. Well after 3 hours of trying to convince diver supply to do as they said after giving them the names of the service dept. and the tech's name. I called atomic back to explain the situation, by the time I was walking back in the store atomic was on the phone.... Needless to say.... 15mins later I was walking back out the door with a new cobalt. Now that's amazing service!!!!!
One problem with the new one, after a dive the cobalt locked up, it was stuck on the screen from after surfacing from the dive. I hard rebooted it, but now it has that dive info and another that can not be read. Any suggestions on what I should do with this unit.

Rick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rick,

Sorry to hear about this- Atomic has great service, but you don't deserve any other problems after having a flooded computer.

A couple of questions:
What firmware version does this have? You can see this on the System info Screen. Do you have access there to a computer that could be used to upload new firmware?

When you say it was stuck on a screen, do you mean the Dive screen, as in still showing depth after exiting a dive, or the Post Dive screen, the one that shows summary data and comes up automatically after 5 minutes at the surface? I'll note that the Cobalt won't allow you to back up out of the dive screen until you have been at the surface more than 2 minutes, as before then another descent would be counted as part of the same dive.

When you say there is another dive that can't be read, do you mean it shows just dashes in the log? I'm going to PM you with contact information, maybe you can take a picture of the dive log.

Is the surface pressure showing on the System Info page correct?

Answers to these questions would help us determine what to do.

Ron

Thanks Ron for all your help in PM, with a little more research we may be able to figure out what happened. There is a chance that it was user error and not the cobalt fault for the lock up.
Rick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a tentative explanation for Rick’s issue above, which I will post here for others who might be concerned. We’re awaiting confirmation through receipt of the dive log file. It brings up an issue for divers who come right up to the boat as they surface.

The Cobalt stays “in the dive” for two minutes after reaching the surface. During that time the Cobalt will not allow the user to back up to another screen. If you descend again during that window, the Cobalt will record a continuation of the same dive.

What it seems may have happened is that the dive guide, wanting to record information from the user’s post dive screen and unable to navigate to that screen, assumed the Cobalt was frozen, and reset it. That reset would have prevented the Cobalt from properly storing the end of dive information and closing the dive. So that dive shows with just dashes in the log, and no more information is available. Subsequent dives have been fine.

If the Cobalt is still showing dive time, max depth, etc., it has not ended the dive yet. It closes the dive two minutes after reaching a depth of 3’ or less. But it will stay in the dive screen (showing zeros for dive time or max depth) for another three minutes- this was requested for those who might be surface swimming and want to keep a compass bearing. At this point it is possible to navigate to other screens- it is no longer in a dive. After five minutes it will automatically switch to the post dive screen and display summary information.

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom