Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a thought for a console holster that could go on a belt or forearm. As I recall, the back of the Cobalt has screws for assembly. Use those screws to attach a wide stamped stainless shoe. That shoe could slide into a plastic receiver with a simple lever or button release. The receiver could accept 2" webbing and/or two narrower straps for the forearm.

I was thinking about this thread as I was really wrestling with the tortuous instruction manual for my Dad's Aeris Manta (seriously... WTF?) - why in the bleeping bleep did it take so long for the dive computer industry to try their products a bit more user friendly? It all seems so bleeping obvious once somebody actually does it...

There is no reason why any of us should have any trouble using any companies computers because all you have to do, after the manual blows your mind, is sign up for an online training course! Jeez.

I bought my Cobalt about a month ago and was looking forward to sitting on my perch with the manual in one hand the computer in the other spending countless hours this winter going through the endless menus and sub menus via some torturous combination of button pushing to navigate through. Not to mention the trip to Target to get some band aids for my finger blisters. I am so disappointed and let down that the Cobalt has taken all of that cranial dribble away from me. I will feel very insignificant when the dive master asks for the numbers and I won't be able to shout them out right away. I will feel even more insignificant when I simply hand the computer over to the DM to pull the numbers. I guess they know how to pull numbers from all of the computers, must be because they are so easy to use.

The reason why these companies make these dive computers so hard for me to learn is because they must all be much smarter than me. Maybe one company decided to design a computer for the diver and not the rocket scientist.

ebay all of your computers quickly before all the other divers figure out what is going on!!

But if you set it for a voluntary safety stop and decide to ignore it how is the DM going to know that the alarm is real or not? What if you set it for voluntary alarm and the dive ends up requiring a real safety stop? Do you change the setting or does the computer now change from voluntary to mandatory which is the way it works now anyway. So would it not be possible for the diver to climb back aboard with the computer singing and the DM alerted to a potential deco problem either real or not real and not be 100% sure what to do? For me, you are going to the chamber or will be grounded for a minimum of 24 hours. I don't know of any computer that has this option and I don't want to be asking a diver if the alarm is a real one or a just be kidding me alarm.

But if you set it for a voluntary safety stop and decide to ignore it how is the DM going to know that the alarm is real or not? What if you set it for voluntary alarm and the dive ends up requiring a real safety stop? ....

Just to clarify, on the Cobalt, you won't set off a violation for either missing or not completing a safety stop, and the DM would probably never see the "Go Down" alert. The Cobalt will tell you to go down and complete the stop for one minute, but then the alert goes away. In that sense, all safety stops in the Cobalt algorithm are "voluntary"- though strongly recommended. If, on the other hand, you fail to complete a required deco stop- which is always labeled as such- the violation is very prominent and will persist in the display for 24 hours. Cobalt Guide: Diving: Decompression: Violations
In that instance the DM should take notice! We did this just to avoid the sort of ambiguity you envision, to ensure that violations are taken seriously.

Just took delivery of 2 Cobalts and looking foward to the test dives in Bonaire in 2 weeks. Yippee!

Just took delivery of 2 Cobalts and looking foward to the test dives in Bonaire in 2 weeks. Yippee!
Great, hope you enjoy your diving!
Two things that did not make it into the 1st generation of the manual I'll throw out here for any new Cobalt owners following the discussion:
1) When charging the battery, it is best practice to disconnect the charging adapter from the Cobalt before unplugging or switching off power to the wall charger itself.
2) As with other rechargeable batteries, it's best not to leave the charger plugged in for long periods of time after the battery is fully charged (don't just leave it plugged in between trips, say).

Let us know how it goes.

I took the Cobalt for a week to Bonair in Dec. about a week after I recieved it. You do not need a manual. It is a very intuitive Dive computer. Lot of compliments after showing it around. Took my nitrox course while at Bonair and the instructor asked if I brought my manual. I said no but said it can't be to hard. After I changed % in a few seconds I think she started drooling. I liked my wireless but this is a whole lot better in every way.

Im diving with mine for the first time next week in the UK, inland, so its going to be cold! Will let you all know what i (and my jealous buddies) think. Still waiting for the software though, any further news?

Great, hope you enjoy your diving!
Two things that did not make it into the 1st generation of the manual I'll throw out here for any new Cobalt owners following the discussion:
1) When charging the battery, it is best practice to disconnect the charging adapter from the Cobalt before unplugging or switching off power to the wall charger itself.
2) As with other rechargeable batteries, it's best not to leave the charger plugged in for long periods of time after the battery is fully charged (don't just leave it plugged in between trips, say).

Let us know how it goes.

Number 2 above is easy to remember, but Number 1's going to be tougher. Can you elaborate on why it's better to disconnect the charger from the Cobalt before uplugging the wall charger? And what terrible thing might happen if I screw up and unplug the wall charger first?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom