Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky you Skipster, great gift and evidently great wife! You will love it!

Hmmm.

I'm seriously hoping you misspoke here.

I registered mine via snail mail. I tried registering my T2 online a couple of years ago and found out later that AA had no record of it, so ever since I've registered all my Atomic gear--with three divers in the family I have a bunch--via the US Mail.

If the extended warranty is only for those who registered online, I'm not going to be a happy camper... :depressed:

On the other hand, my LDS gave me the Cobalt and all the aforementioned parts for free, but only after I coughed up $1,200 for the empty box.

The warranty is extended to two years if you register it, by any means, online or snail mail.

That is correct, the original warranty is twelve months, but registering the product by any means extends it an additional twelve months. Nice offer from the folks at Atomic!

Im still waiting for the software download!, any news?

Last edited:
Im still waiting for the software download!, any news?
There are still some changes being made to the Windows version before it is posted on the Atomic website. On the Mac side we are in the midst of helping MacDive add Cobalt compatibility- hoping for not too long after the 1st of the year. The proprietary Atomic dive logging software for Mac is still a ways out, but will come.

The Cobalt looks very impressive, and so is the documentation.  You should all be very proud of the fruits of your hard work.  I would buy one on the spot if I could wear it on my wrist and it was air integrated with a wireless transmitter. 

To echo others, I would like to voice my request for the Cobalt to have the option to enable voluntary safety stop mode, even if it were not required on a particular ascent.  As such, any alerts and alarms related to missing a voluntary safety stop should be written in a way to satisfy a dive master's concerns that the diver doesn't need to be rushed to a hospital.

-ITG

... I would buy one on the spot if I could wear it on my wrist and it was air integrated with a wireless transmitter…

I would prefer an air integrated wrist mount with a small HP hose rather than a wireless transmitter. The Cobalt console may be a little large, but would work if you could rotate the display 90° so the compass could be used. IMHO: another battery to manage, mediocre reliability of wireless signals, and added cost more than offsets the inconvenience of a small hose down the arm — not unlike a rebreather's wrist display with a cable.

If a transmitter is introduced, I think it should be on a short hose because the existing ones interfere too much with regulator positioning.

To echo others, I would like to voice my request for the Cobalt to have the option to enable voluntary safety stop mode, even if it were not required on a particular ascent.  As such, any alerts and alarms related to missing a voluntary safety stop should be written in a way to satisfy a dive master's concerns that the diver doesn't need to be rushed to a hospital.-ITG

The way the software stands now, you will get a safety stop unless your dive is shallower than 40'/ 12.2m or your dive was so short that it looks like only a momentary descent. We're trying to avoid the repetitive safety stop alarms some computers are prone to when the diver goes up and down within a zone. We have had some requests to allow users to voluntarily extend the safety stop time beyond the 2 or 3 minutes that are called for- we're looking at this, but there is always a tradeoff between offering more options and complicating the interface with choices.

If you miss a safety stop, the Cobalt will alarm and tell you to go down for a minute, then the alarm will go away. It will not log a violation for a missed safety stop (these are on top of the slowed ascent or any stops required by the algorithm) , so the dive master should not be concerned.

Thanks for the kind words- the Cobalt is something we have worked hard on for many years.

Thanks for the kind words- the Cobalt is something we have worked hard on for many years.

And yet somehow during all those years no one thought to come up with something more elegant than an old sock to stuff it into...:no:

Or in my case, two old socks since I'm about to pull the trigger on a second one to keep my wife happy.

All kidding aside, though, great job.

And yet somehow during all those years no one thought to come up with something more elegant than an old sock to stuff it into...:no:

Or in my case, two old socks since I'm about to pull the trigger on a second one to keep my wife happy.

All kidding aside, though, great job.

Well, we mostly have to do with the overall design, electronics and software, not packaging, so I'll plead ignorance on the pouch vs. sock question. Your voices on the subject have been heard, though, and the message has been received.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom