Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Ron for the tip on the dive screen ... I was able to adjust the brightness so I can read the unit again. However, I just got off the phone with Adan and he thinks there's probably a problem with a switch on the board. I would be surprised if it was anything else as it has only been used once in a fresh water pool, and once yesterday in the ocean. Given all of that, I don't really trust it at this point so I'll call to get it replaced after I've returned from vacation.
Well, if it's that new the magnet is probably not rusting. But if it's the reed switch, then it really doesn't have any impact on the functioning of the computer for diving, it's just less convenient to use for data input. You might pull the cover off just to check- sometimes alignment of the magnet is a problem- or something could have gotten stuck under the keypad. You can place other magnets, from other parts of the keypad, into the depression and see if the switch activates. It would be a shame not to use it since you are just starting your trip.

Ron

My partner and I both have Cobalts and absolutely love them but lately they have been getting a little temperamental. One seems to think its always 66 degrees Celsius and today it didn't log the dive. It showed the air for the dive but that was all. Luckily I dive with an oceanic bud and could safely continue the dive with my cobalt relegated to a very expensive air gauge. The other computer's problem is the select button almost never works. You press it and after about 20 pushes it gives up and works.... once.
Both of these computers are from the recalled batch but our dive shops supplier has said that due to a change in the distributor of Atomic here in Australia... we cant send them away yet to have them checked. We have a much anticipated dive trip due in March and wondering if anybody can offer some advice on getting them sorted out before we leave. The computers are both 10 months old.

My partner and I both have Cobalts and absolutely love them but lately they have been getting a little temperamental. One seems to think its always 66 degrees Celsius and today it didn't log the dive. It showed the air for the dive but that was all. Luckily I dive with an oceanic bud and could safely continue the dive with my cobalt relegated to a very expensive air gauge. The other computer's problem is the select button almost never works. You press it and after about 20 pushes it gives up and works.... once.
Both of these computers are from the recalled batch but our dive shops supplier has said that due to a change in the distributor of Atomic here in Australia... we cant send them away yet to have them checked. We have a much anticipated dive trip due in March and wondering if anybody can offer some advice on getting them sorted out before we leave. The computers are both 10 months old.

Sorry for those problems. We have heard it's been hot down there, but 66°C seems a bit extreme.
The one that has not been displaying correct temperature and now, apparently, is not sensing pressure has a malfunctioning pressure sensor- the temperature and pressure come from the same sensor. That is a serious failure that will need to go back to Atomic. The button issue is most likely- particularly if it's been getting worse- due to poor coating on the button magnet allowing corrosion. That is a very easy fix. I linked to instructions for checking under the keypad a few messages above this one. You can check by seeing if the SELECT button works better when you place one of the other keys in that depression. If corrosion looks like the issue, Atomic can just send you a new keypad- the coatings have been improved to prevent this problem. Obviously you have older units.

However, if these have not been checked for the recall that should certainly be done- it takes minutes, and while few computers have had a problem, we want everyone to make sure.

What I would suggest is contacting Atomic directly to explain. Email works well for them, Adan has been handling many of the Cobalt service issues: adan@atomicaquatics.com. There is also a contact form on the Atomic website Atomic Aquatics. I'm sure that they will be very responsive and will get things fixed/ checked for you. Monday is a holiday here for many businesses, I'm not sure if they will be off or working, but I am sure you will hear from them as soon as possible. It should be no problem to get things sorted out before your trip.

Ron

Hi

Just got my new Cobalt, cant wait to try it out. Very minor point. I see it comes with a package of screen protectors. In addition to the two in the package, does the unit come with one pre installed? The reason I'm asking is there is a slight raised spot on the screen that to me looks like dust got under the protector when it was laid down or is that a defect in the surface of the screen? Tried to lift it off and it does not seem to lift off like a screen protector would.

Joe

My brand new cobalt seems to have a dive logged. Is this normal or did my vendor maybe play a little trick on me?

Hi

Just got my new Cobalt, cant wait to try it out. Very minor point. I see it comes with a package of screen protectors. In addition to the two in the package, does the unit come with one pre installed? The reason I'm asking is there is a slight raised spot on the screen that to me looks like dust got under the protector when it was laid down or is that a defect in the surface of the screen? Tried to lift it off and it does not seem to lift off like a screen protector would.

Joe
It's been a while since I've seen a Cobalt new in the box, but I believe they are shipping with a screen protector installed.

Ron

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

My brand new cobalt seems to have a dive logged. Is this normal or did my vendor maybe play a little trick on me?
An in water test chamber dive is done at the factory on every Cobalt. That dive will be in the log when you get it.

Ron

It's been a while since I've seen a Cobalt new in the box, but I believe they are shipping with a screen protector installed.

Ron

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

An in water test chamber dive is done at the factory on every Cobalt. That dive will be in the log when you get it.

Ron

i just received my new Cobalt this week and the stock unit comes with a protective piece of plastic for shipping purposes only and is quite flimsy compared to the two screen protectors that come in the box. It is meant to be removed prior to installation. Installation of the screen protector was quite easy provided you have some practice installing them on smartphones or similar devices.

Ugh. My Cobalt rode along as backup to my Petrel today, and now it looks like Akimbo's old one (full of cloudy liquid). It came back from Atomic (recall and button repair) recently, and has done a few dives since then and worked great. Today I was fairly deep (190'), but didn't notice anything wrong until I went to see which computer wanted me to do a deep stop first. Will contact Atomic after the holiday weekend about sending it back.

i just received my new Cobalt this week and the stock unit comes with a protective piece of plastic for shipping purposes only and is quite flimsy compared to the two screen protectors that come in the box. It is meant to be removed prior to installation. Installation of the screen protector was quite easy provided you have some practice installing them on smartphones or similar devices.
That sounds right, then. I know the lenses are protected with a shield prior to assembly, this is probably just being left on for shipment.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom