Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• Implemented continuous scrolling in the Divelog Profile by holding the UP or DOWN button.
  • Added time of day display to the dive screen, alternating with temperature during dive.

The first one is a very welcome addition...I have to wonder if many of the button alignment issues weren't a direct result of having to hammer on the Select button just to move through dive logs.

Is the second one an option or a forced change to the dive screen? While I'm sure it's not flashing back and forth like a neon sign, I'm not thrilled at the idea of a part of the display 'moving' just to provide me with two pieces of information I don't care about rather than quietly and non-attention-gettingly displaying one piece of information I don't care about.

Speaking of being able to adapt the Cobalt's dive interface so as to avoid it doing things we don't want it to do, has any consideration been given to being able to silence mandatory alarms like the low gas alarm (I think the Cobalt also beeps for other reasons, such as violating a stop depth)?

The time display on the dive screen is handled in a way that I think is pretty unobtrusive, and it was a very often requested feature.

Turning things like this off or otherwise customizing the display is definitely something we have considered. It would probably require another settings/ Preferences screen, and we have concerns about making the interface too complex, so we will probably proceed cautiously in that direction. It's logical to have such options, but we haven't gotten many requests.

The alarms that are always audible are for low gas (below minimum), too rapid sustained ascent, PO2 violation, and violating a stop. The ability to turn those off is something that would need to be discusses with Atomic, as I can imagine there could be liability questions- it's something that must be considered. We have had a couple of requests for a "silent" mode, so it's something I will bring up. Like other customizations, it would probably require another screen.

We will keep evolving the Cobalt, part of that will inevitably involve options for user customization. There is a "Cobalt Wish list" thread for the Cobalt on Atomic's Scubaboard forum: Atomic Aquatics, we really do pay attention to what users want.

Ron

…Turning things like this off or otherwise customizing the display is definitely something we have considered. It would probably require another settings/ Preferences screen, and we have concerns about making the interface too complex, so we will probably proceed cautiously in that direction…

One of Cobalt’s great advantages is its simplicity. IMHO, a reasonable compromise for rarely used but more complex functions such as customization could be accesses by a Windows/Mac program only. As you are painfully aware, there is just so much that can be done with a small screen, 4 buttons, and never reading a manual.

A tablet-size screen is another human-factors matter. Drop-down menus, keyboards, more verbose onscreen labeling, and input error/range checking are a piece of cake. It is not unreasonable to require Atomic dealers to have the program installed and allow customers to customize their Cobalt. They could even take care of online registration and updating firmware for new purchases. This is just the kind of thing that will entice people to buy from their LDS rather than online.

One of Cobalt’s great advantages is its simplicity. IMHO, a reasonable compromise for rarely used but more complex functions such as customization could be accesses by a Windows/Mac program only. As you are painfully aware, there is just so much that can be done with a small screen, 4 buttons, and never reading a manual.

A tablet-size screen is another human-factors matter. Drop-down menus, keyboards, more verbose onscreen labeling, and input error/range checking are a piece of cake. It is not unreasonable to require Atomic dealers to have the program installed and allow customers to customize their Cobalt. They could even take care of online registration and updating firmware for new purchases. This is just the kind of thing that will entice people to buy from their LDS rather than online.
Yes, you see the issue. The approach you suggest, or alternatively offering slightly differing firmware versions for installation, is one we are considering. We will probably need to have different firmware versions as we offer more languages, as at some point we run up against internal memory issues.

Ron

I'm on day 2 of a 3 week diving vacation in Curacao. I used my new Cobalt on yesterday's dive ... today when I was getting my gear ready, I noticed that the up button won't do anything. Thankfully, I brought my analog console and old Oceanic dive computer with me. Not very pleased with this development to say the least.

Sucky timing indeed. However, you can dive the computer with just the other three buttons, unless perhaps UP is needed for gas switches. The function problem is magnet alignment, not anything that has compromised the computer itself.

Good point, and thanks for the heads-up on the source of the issue. I don't want to dive with it in its current state because I noticed the issue after I had turned the brightness all the way down and wanted to turn it back up to dive with ... I don't like it that dim, and wasn't clear on the cause ... so I've packed it away in my suitcase until I can get it fixed.

Jovela,

Please, if you have an opportunity, contact Adan at our customer service line 888-270-8595. We can help resolve the issue with your button. I apologize for this experience and we can work with you to get it resolved. If you would rather, please private message us and we can communicate that way if it is easier. Thank you Jovela.

Atomic Aquatics

I'm on day 2 of a 3 week diving vacation in Curacao. I used my new Cobalt on yesterday's dive ... today when I was getting my gear ready, I noticed that the up button won't do anything. Thankfully, I brought my analog console and old Oceanic dive computer with me. Not very pleased with this development to say the least.
Is the Cobalt turning on/ water activating OK, and just not registering UP button hits? If so, until we get a fix to you, you could still use it for dives, as the only functions the UP button has in the dive screen is to initiate gas switching manually. And almost everything that you need to do to enter data can be done with either the UP or DOWN button, it may just require a few more presses.

Here is a link to instructions for looking under the top cover, to check and see if there is something stuck, or if the buttons are possibly rusted. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71299384/Cover removal.pdf We have seen some buttons that didn't get properly sealed, and the magnets rust over time. If that is the case, I'm sure Atomic can get you a replacement keypad. It's very simple to replace.

If you can PM me with info as to what you find, and where you are/ how you can be contacted, I'll try to make sure you get this fixed.

Ron

---------- Post added January 15th, 2013 at 12:37 PM ----------

Good point, and thanks for the heads-up on the source of the issue. I don't want to dive with it in its current state because I noticed the issue after I had turned the brightness all the way down and wanted to turn it back up to dive with ... I don't like it that dim, and wasn't clear on the cause ... so I've packed it away in my suitcase until I can get it fixed.
Put the Cobalt into the dive screen, and you can step through the brightness levels by pressing the DOWN button. This is there so brightness can be adjusted on a dive.

Ron

Thanks Ron for the tip on the dive screen ... I was able to adjust the brightness so I can read the unit again. However, I just got off the phone with Adan and he thinks there's probably a problem with a switch on the board. I would be surprised if it was anything else as it has only been used once in a fresh water pool, and once yesterday in the ocean. Given all of that, I don't really trust it at this point so I'll call to get it replaced after I've returned from vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom