Atom 3.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using a veo 200 for nearly 6 years now. See no need to upgrade. Of course once I took some tech training I got back into using tables and the veo is rarely out of gauge mode. All my students are required to plan using tables for OW, AOW, and on up. The next comp upgrade I do will require it to do trimix.

Most of the present Oceanic models can be set to conservative already. I don't know what the addition of a second algorithm wll do for us. As is I use mine set normal for longest bottom time and have never had any issue which would make me think I'd need to use it set more conservative or need a more conservative model.

If you use a conservative computer you can still get equally long bottom time, it just means you may have to make a brief deco stop. So you can view that deco stop as an extra safety stop on top of a liberal computer.

I prefer a more conservative algorithm for two considerations. First I want a large margin for error, whether it's my error or the error of the algorithm modeling my physiology.

Secondly, there was at least one study that showed asymptomatic lesions in the spinal cord on imaging studies of divers who were never bent, and the significance of this is not clear, so I'll choose to assume the worst.

Adam

If you use a conservative computer you can still get equally long bottom time, it just means you may have to make a brief deco stop. So you can view that deco stop as an extra safety stop on top of a liberal computer.

This would require you to uses more of your gas supply for deco it doesn't extend your bottom time and increases your risk and the training you should have to manage your deco requirements. This is not proper procedures for the limits of no deco recreational diving and go beyond the design of many of the PDC so recreational diving. To sum it up your adding procedures that are not in the scope of the PDC's we are discussing or the type of diving we do with them.

Secondly, there was at least one study that showed asymptomatic lesions in the spinal cord on imaging studies of divers who were never bent, and the significance of this is not clear, so I'll choose to assume the worst.

This also has nothing to do with liberal or conservative PDC choice. Since as you state the divers have never been bent then it may just suggest that some divers physiology gives them a predisposition to spinal cord lesions regardless of their nitrogen uptake. These people may need to be eliminated from the sport for their own safety once there is enough info on the cause and effect of these lesions.
Then again maybe it has nothing to do with their diving and the lesions are caused by something outside diving and these divers just happen to have both lesions and diving in common. How you take the step from divers to lesions to more conservative PDC is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom