Atom 2 stuck in Gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all of your concern over my going to the chamber. Yes the computer won't know my nitrogen loading, but I will! Why does everyone assume I won't?

The problem is that my last dive of the day ended around noon, and my first dive in the morning will be at 8:30. 24 hours will not have elapsed, and if I use my computer the 24 hour clock starts over again. The problem will continue until the end of my trip. Only thing I can do is dive without my computer tomorrow and then use it the next day - hmmm guess I can't do that because my computer won't know what my nitrogen loading is.

I understand why it's there, and I'm sure that there are some people out there that would get themselves into trouble, but there are also people that do know what they are doing. I think this is more about protecting the manufacturer from liability and is a PITA for the rest of us.

I'd have to question how the computer got into gauge mode to begin with.
To the rest of us that are familiar with that computer it sounds like you had a violation that caused it to go into that mode or you just used it in gauge mode without being fully familiar with the computer. If that is correct and you are trying to take it out of gauge mode, then I would suggest that maybe you are not really aware of what you are doing and the safety involved otherwise the computer wouldn't be in gauge mode to begin with.

How do you know your nitrogen load??
If your computer was in gauge mode you must be running tables. And by the rules of table and computer use you must wait 24 hours before switching back to the computer anyway.

I have accidentally put my Atom 2.0 into gauge mode before. The same button is used to enter dive mode and to select normal, gauge, or Free dive modes. I held this button down to long and ended up in gauge mode. Lucky for me I made this mistake during a pool dive and did not dive for a week after. If I made that error on vacation I would have had to switch to my backup computer for the week.

I appreciate all of your concern over my going to the chamber. Yes the computer won't know my nitrogen loading, but I will! Why does everyone assume I won't?

Nobody cares if you know your nitrogen loading. The problem is that your computer won't know.

The problem is that my last dive of the day ended around noon, and my first dive in the morning will be at 8:30. 24 hours will not have elapsed, and if I use my computer the 24 hour clock starts over again. The problem will continue until the end of my trip. Only thing I can do is dive without my computer tomorrow and then use it the next day - hmmm guess I can't do that because my computer won't know what my nitrogen loading is.

The way computers work is that you leave it in "computer mode" and take it with you on all your dives. That way it knows what you've been doing and will attempt to keep you from getting bent.

If you're going to screw with it and try to switch it in and out of gauge mode and reset it every day, you'll be much safer just leaving it in gauge mode and using tables.

Terry

Well, if the computer won't know your nitrogen loading and you will, why
the heck are you worried about getting it out of gauge mode?

Just leave it in gauge mode and use your knowledge of your loading
since if you force your computer out of gauge mode prematurely the nitrogen loading
reported by your computer will be wrong anyway.

--- bill

I am in the process of putting together my first set of gear. I am considering the Atom 2.
Not knowing much about these yet I have a question. Will I be able to lend my gear to someone? They will need the atom 2 for a depth and air gauge only, but will I then be able to dive with it right after they use it and set the computer back to my settings? I understand that a computer stays with you to know your surface time, but it seems like you could reset the gauge mode knowing your surface time.
Do you guys recommend the Atom 2?

I am in the process of putting together my first set of gear. I am considering the Atom 2.
Not knowing much about these yet I have a question. Will I be able to lend my gear to someone? They will need the atom 2 for a depth and air gauge only, but will I then be able to dive with it right after they use it and set the computer back to my settings? I understand that a computer stays with you to know your surface time, but it seems like you could reset the gauge mode knowing your surface time.

Dive gear are like tools, you NEVER lend them out, period.

There is not a computer on the market I know of that will track multiple users.
I like my Atom.

.......Will I be able to lend my gear to someone? They will need the atom 2 for a depth and air gauge only, but will I then be able to dive with it right after they use it and set the computer back to my settings? .....
Bad idea :no:

The only way you could do that is that you both plan your dive with table and use the Atom in gauge mode. Once the atom is dove in gauge mode it is lock in gauge mode for 24 hrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom