Atom 2 and VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jh_MacLeod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

These two devices from Oceanic appear to be essentially the same computer (just with a watch mode in the Atom2). (The recall notice sticky is two years old, so hopefully, that wouldn't be an issue if buying a new Atom2).

Does anyone have any comments regarding choosing one over the other?

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

It's all about preference. You are correct on them being very similar, just different form factors. A lot of divers prefer the VT3 because it has a larger display so it makes it easier to read. But, a lot of divers prefer the Atom2 because it is smaller.

That being said, I dive an Atom2 and absolutely love it. I have no problems reading the screen and it has been very reliable for over 40 dives.

CHEERS,
-Willy

VT3 is better in low light and easier to read with its larger display.

Besides what has already been mentioned about wanting either a watch size PDC or a puck sized one. There's also: The Atom 2.0 isn't just watch-size, it's actually a normal wristwatch. But, the VT3 displays more info on the main screen in terms of graphs. The Atom uses a shared bar graph for nitrogen, oxygen and ascent. While the VT3 has 3 different graphs. So basically, like everyone has said, there are no substantive differences between the two.

Thanks guys; your info was helpful.
I will go with the VT3, due to the separate graphs and better readability.

I downloaded the manuals and they aren't very easy to understand :-(. But I read in another thread on the VT3, that the unit is actually easy to use underwater, once you've learned how.

Cheers

It's definitely easier to understand the manual once you've seen the computer operating (I think I was the one that wrote that in the other thread). If, you have any specific questions, you can always jump on the board and ask. One of us will know the answer (or we'll make something up). Another good thing about the VT3 is that Deep Sea Supply makes a bungee mount for it and they have a dealership in Kuala Lumpur.:D

I've dove with the VT3 roughly 50 times and its awesome! The pdc does everything you need for some simple diving. I use the transmitter too, the only complaint I have is it has a pretty minimal signal range so checking your buddies air supply is basically out of the question. Great glow for night dives. A little bulky for the watch style but not that bad compared to some.

Just wonder how is the Atom 2's battery life, is it the same as Atom 1 which last a few months?

Some prefer the Atom 2 because it can be worn and function as a watch. As for me, I already have a dive watch, so I prefer the big display of the VT3 (aka Aeris Elite T3).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom