Atom 2.0 band broke...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgeldin

California Ships To Reef
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
...after 43 dives since I bought it in February. I had been wearing it as a watch over the weekend. When I put on the lens cover this morning at my dive site, the strap came off in my hand. I used the watch by putting a wrist strap through lens cover. I used it that way for 2 consecutive dives. I prefer the wristband.

The pin is straight and the watch hinges look good but, the band hinges are ripped through.

I took the watch and strap to my LDS when I left my tanks for fills. They suggested I download my dives and bring it back so they can send it to Oceanic. The LDS said it will take about two weeks unless I want to pay the upcharge for overnight. If it goes overnight, I may get it back for the weekend.

I've searched the forum and found no similar problem reported with Atom 2.0 wrist bands so I'm assuming the band had a unique defect or I don't know the secret to putting on a lens cover.

The band was fine on both Atoms I've had.

But I also changed the band on my latest to a Waterborne band. To me, it's much more comfortable and eliminates the possibility of losing the watch if a pin breaks.

I found that to put the lens cover on with the original band, you need to unscrew one of the pins that hold the band in place, remove the band (half), install the cover, then reinstall the band (half). This may explain how your band died.

Definitely download your dives. Oceanic will just exchange your Atom, so you will lose your data.

I also changed the band on my latest to a Waterborne band.
Waterborne looks like a good solution. I like the idea that if one pin gives out, the watch is still held by the second pin.
I found that to put the lens cover on with the original band, you need to unscrew one of the pins that hold the band in place, remove the band (half), install the cover, then reinstall the band (half). This may explain how your band died.
How helpful is that? I like wearing my Atom all weekend if I'm making consecutive dives on consecutive days. Then, I'll wear it until I download my dives. I smile at the idea of people watching me take out my jewelers screwdiver and removing the watch band of my expensive dive computer just to swap out the inexpensive lens cover.

I would love for Oceanic to have a solution for this because it changes the nature of how one can use what is otherwise a very convenient and versatile dive computer/watch.

jgeldin:
How helpful is that? I like wearing my Atom all weekend if I'm making consecutive dives on consecutive days. Then, I'll wear it until I download my dives. I smile at the idea of people watching me take out my jewelers screwdiver and removing the watch band of my expensive dive computer just to swap out the inexpensive lens cover.

I agree, but that's what I found works. With the Waterborne band, the cover slips on and off easily.

jgeldin:
I would love for Oceanic to have a solution for this because it changes the nature of how one can use what is otherwise a very convenient and versatile dive computer/watch.

I'm sure Doug Krause will see your post, but it wouldn't hurt to send him a PM with your thought. He works for in sales for Oceanic and helps out a lot around here.

I have been able to install the lens cover by putting it over one side of the band and then stretching the cover over the other side of the band. This never seemed quite the appropriate way to do it since it seems to overstretch the cover.
Does the Atom 2 manual have any instructions on the proper way to install the cover? Seems that having to take screws out to put the cover on is a bit of a nuisance.

philmayer:
The band was fine on both Atoms I've had.

But I also changed the band on my latest to a Waterborne band. To me, it's much more comfortable and eliminates the possibility of losing the watch if a pin breaks.

Definitely download your dives. Oceanic will just exchange your Atom, so you will lose your data.

I don't have an Atom 2 but I do second the Waterborne strap. I use it on my VT3 for the exact reason you started this thread, broken straps. Supposedly the Waterborne also removes tension from the pins, which also makes it less likely to fail.

using the straps that come with the unit, you have to put the cover on in a certain order. One of the straps is molded into a curve, while the other is more flexible. I've found that is easiest way to get the cover on without stressing the straps.

However, I have switched to an aussie safety strap, which I highly recommend.

Just got my Atom 2.0 back from my LDS. This was a reasonble wait time and I was still diving with a gauge console that my LDS loaned me.

I'm assuming that Oceanic sent back one of the refurbs from stock as it had a different s/n (mine was 1600's this one is the 1200's). Also I can see some wear on the buttons and bezel. Nothing different from rhe one I sent in. The crystal is clean, like new.

If I bust the band on this one, you've all given some good advice for alternatives.

I switched to bungee straps for my instruments, but when I started drysuit diving the bungees were a little tight and I was afraid of damaging the latex seals so I installed a 1" SS clamp buckle on my computer along with 1" flat elastic webbing that goes under the pins. I'm using a Delrin slider to lock one end of the strap to the rest, but plan to stitch that part together at some point and also stitch a small SS d-ring or something at the end of the strap so there's no chance of it coming loose. You can get everything from the website I linked to for about $10 shipped, maybe less, if you buy a small quantity and use their econo-shipping option ($2 shipping for orders under $10).

Here's what it looks like:

adjustableelasticstrap3.jpg

adjustableelasticstrap2.jpg

adjustableelasticstrap1.jpg

You can press the release and tighten the strap with your teeth or just pull on it while pressing the computer against your leg, for example, so that it doesn't move. The buckle is a tad bulky, but it holds well. There's zero chance of the strap coming loose unless something is pressing the release. The excess strap I stuff under the rest, but I'm still trying to think of a more elegant solution to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom