Atmos AI lockup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Lenharr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an aeris atmos ai and it has been great for over 100 dives. I use the USB cable to download the dives using the latest version of the areis software. After a 5 dive day today, I was able to download the dives just fine. Afterwards, the computer itself locked up showing all the LCD symbols with no response to button pushes.

I have since attempted to remove the battery cover with no success. In fact, I actually cracked the plastic on one side of the "ridge" used to open the battery compartment. It appears that I will have to send it in for repair. I was wondering what would have caused the lockup? I love this computer, up to now that is. =)

I had the same issue while it was transferring data to my PC and the cable got pulled out. The only way to get it back was to pull out the battery.

Only other reason I can think of is low battery. What time frame are these 100 dives covering? I'd either take it to your local DS to see if they can open it, or contact Aeris (I've had great customer service from them).

During a download, the PC s/w puts the dive computer into a download mode,
downloads the data, then tells the dive computer to go back to surface mode.
The divecomputer has a timer such that if it hasn't "heard" from the PC in 120
seconds, it will revert back to surface mode on its own in 120 seconds.
So if the PC was in the middle of downloading and the cable comes loose,
in 120 seconds, the AtmosAI should go back to surface mode by itself.

While the AtmosAI is in download mode, (with all LCD segments lit),
both buttons will be ignored.

Are you saying that the AtmosAI never went back to surface mode on its own?

As far as the battery cover goes, you can purchase a new one for about $6-7 from
oceanic: Aeris Parts

For removing the battery cover, I have found that using a small utility pry bar
( Pry Bar ) makes it super easy.
Put the flat portion on the curved end in the battery cover slot and rotate the prybar.
Just make sure not to over tighten it when puting it back together.

Or if you have a LDS close by, they should be able to order the part and replace
it for you.

And while you have it open, you might as well replace the battery.
Its cheap at around $3-4.

--- bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom