atmos 2 meltdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with complete shutdowns of these computers? I am now on my FOURTH return to aeris with this computer; each time they have given me a brand new replacement (four computers in about 70 dives). Basically what i'm seeing here is failure at depth, for all of these. One time the computer decided it would, on its own, go to its max rated depth all on its own which of course gave me a few issues with the nitrox mixture i was using (300'+ on 32% can't be good). Two other times the LCD screen just went nuts and the unit was unprogrammable/unreadable. I'm now faced with a situation where individual segments on the lcd screen will indepently decide to show up all on their own; obviously unreadable. And yes, i have always installed a new battery and have gotten the same results. And no, it's not flooded. I really like this computer as it's big, basic and easily readable in dark/night situations, as well as how liberal it is. But this is getting straight stupid.Thanks for any help.

I have not had good luck with my Aeris atmos 2 computer. I've gone through 4 Aeris computers; #1 flooded within 6 months and the company replaced it, #2 kept diving after I came back to the surface (it didn't log the continuous dive but the depth was off by 10-15 ft in the water and the computer remained in dive mode for up to 2 hours post dive). The second computer failed about 8 months after I got it and I was told that the original warranty was expired by then (warranty did not restart with the replacement computer). I paid to upgrade to the Atmos 2 with a credit for turning in the defunct #2. Within 4 months computer #3 was doing the continuous diving trick and was sent back to Aeris. This time I got a call from one of the tech folks who basically told me that nothing was wrong with the computer but that they would send me a rebuildt one since according to him, I "obviously didn't know how to use the one that I had". Computer #4 is still on my console just because I'm too lazy to remove it. I now use a wrist mounted Dive Rite Nitek Duo as my dive computer and love it. I'll never buy another Aeris computer (and my LDS is fully aware of my reasons). The aeris that is still on my console sometimes records the same depth during the dive as the Nitek and other times reads anywhere from 3-12 ft deeper. It occasionally continues the dive on land as before but I have noticed that the computer's log records the actual dive time and not the extended version.

Thanks for the feedback; glad to hear that I'm not alone here for better or for worse. So they told you it was operator error that the unit kept the dive going after you were on the surface, huh? I can only bet you tore them a new one after hearing that.

I really like the idea behind the computer as it's big and easy to read (as well as really liberal) but these issues are killing me. I don't know where the industry is going with these tiny computers that they're making; i'm certainly not going to be wearing mine out on the town after a dive. As I mentioned earlier, most of my diving is in cold, dark water and making a fashion statement at recreational limits is not a priority. But your Nitek: how did it compare in regards to liberal/conservative as compared to the atmos? Before buying the nitek did you have others that you were considering for their size/profile ability? I've really liked some of the bigger Sunto's but am hesitant to buy one as my experience has shown that they are really conservative. Thanks.

I have almost 70 dives on my Atmos 2 with no problems, also still on the same battery. I like mine allot too but 4 computers that is just really bad luck or I have been lucky with mine.
I had a wrist mounted Gekko before but I find the large console is easier to read and when I wrap my waist strap around it one time it hangs perfectly where I can see it and only maybe a total of 6 inches from my body so for it to be dragging reef I would pretty much have to be touching the reef with my body anyway.

I have 2 Atmos 2 computers, over 300 dives no problems. Perhaps just lucky but I generally like the computer, nice display and good functality for the money. This is actually the first negative comments I've heard. Has aries said anything regarding a bad batch?

Thanks for the data points.
John

No, they just keep sending me new computers. I am not an electronics guy, but personally think that it's got something to do with the chip. To their credit, they do keep sending me new computers and they do it quickly. It does concern me that they won't talk specifically to what's going on with the unit as all four of these crashes that i have had have been deep, low viz situations that were either in deco or close. The potential for an accident was defintely there.

Erik

Big Toes:
I really like the idea behind the computer as it's big and easy to read (as well as really liberal) but these issues are killing me. I don't know where the industry is going with these tiny computers that they're making; i'm certainly not going to be wearing mine out on the town after a dive. As I mentioned earlier, most of my diving is in cold, dark water and making a fashion statement at recreational limits is not a priority. But your Nitek: how did it compare in regards to liberal/conservative as compared to the atmos? Before buying the nitek did you have others that you were considering for their size/profile ability? I've really liked some of the bigger Sunto's but am hesitant to buy one as my experience has shown that they are really conservative. Thanks.

The Nitek Duo face is about the same size as the Atmos 2 but I actually find that it's easier for me to read both during the dive and after. When I looked at the Nitek Duo in the store, I asked to see the manual and timed myself on how long it took me to set the time and figure out how to get to the log pages. Less than 20 minutes later I brought the computer. The manual is simply written and easy to follow.

Since I brought my Nitek Duo, I've dove it side-by-side with an Oceanic, my infamous Aeris and a friend's Sunto. I find that the Duo and Sunto will be in deco while the Oceanic and Aeris are still happily encouraging me to continue the dive. However once I get to the hang bar after a deep dive, the Duo clears deco (at 10 fsw) faster than the Sunto (the Duo doesn't like 15 fsw stops for off-gassing and politely suggests that I come up to 10 fsw instead).

If you can, I suggest that you borrow a few different computers and dive them side-by-side on your wrist. That way you can see for yourself how they differ in conservatism for your type of diving. Then you can decide whether you feel safer with a more liberal computer or not.

I will add my own experiences. I dive with the Aeris Atmos AI. My first one died after three dives. Aeris quickly got me a new computer, and it has since worked flawlessly for about 80 dives.

As far as the NDL limits, I also dive with a Dive-Rite Nitek Plus. I can confirm that the Nitek Plus often shows a few minutes of mandatory deco time while the Aeris still says I have five or ten minutes of time remaining. Just differences in the algorithms I guess. So the Aeris is pretty liberal, but you can adjust the safety settings in the Aeris to make it more conservative if you wish.

I have 37 dives so far on my Atmos 2 over the past year. No problems so far.

Big Toes, keep sending them in because they don't make the Atmos 2 anymore and they will run out. My Atmos 1 wouldn't H2O activate and I sent it in and got a new XR1.
I don't have many dives on my Atmos 2 but so far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom