Atlanta GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fisk

New
Reaction score
I'm going for a work trip to Atlanta the last week in september, and am getting more time off than expected. The oceans seem a tad too far away, so I'm curious as to wether there's any good diving opportunities closer to Atlanta, and if so which operators are any good.

There's plenty of water around Atlanta... average vis is about a foot. Maybe as much as 3-5 on a good day in Lake Lanier. There may be somewhere with better vis nearby but I'm unaware of it. WYDT lives there... you might try PMing him.
Rick

Hello Mr. Fisk,
Well it looks like Rick needs to come and meet you at Lake Jocassee to dive. It is located in South Carolina and is around 2 hours from North Atlanta just over the Georgia/ South Carolina state line. It is the diving center in South Carolina for most of the shops if they do not go to Charleston, South Carolina or Florida to do the check out dives. The lake provides two choices, a walk in cove dedicated to divers ( NO Boats) and the other is to dive from a charter on the other attractions around the lake at various stages. The park does not charge anything for the use of the "Diver's Walk In Ramp." There you have the use of training platforms, the deep water trapeeze and a few other objects which are tied together by cave lines to make it easy to find. The cove sports plenty of ground to cover since it is around 6-8 acres. There are natural sites underwater, all of which is in "Black and White" as I call it since the Carribean is in colour. The depth can be shallow or to well over 150 feet in that spot. Jocassee is a man made lake that has temps from 80's down to the 50's and that is in fahrenheit and depths to 365 feet. Most of the dive activity is in the first 120 feet. By charter, you can see the Graveyard, the Chinese Junk, the collection of fiber glass boats and the basket ball goal and motorcycle (Objects de Art). Bass, Brim, Trout, Herrin, Crawfish and a few others are the variety of life located in the lake. The scenery is wonderful as the mountains surrround the saphire jewel and hold it in for us to dive. There are a limited number of homes on the lake, camp sites and the villas in which to stay. The Heritiage Trust of South Carolina is the proud owner of the remaining lake frontage, this means NO more develpment beyond the two dozen homes located on the lake. We have visability of 15-20 feet in the shallower depths of 60 feet and above. At the depth of 100 feet the viz opens to 30-80. This is our 5th year of drought so the lake lies 23 feet low and the particulate in the water column is increased since my first dives there in 1993. You may inquire more if you please, to my email address for more information.
samsliquidblue@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom