At what point would it be recommended to carry a back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i almost always carry a backup mask. But I solo dive a lot so....

One day I was approached by a diver who I didn't know who asked to borrow a mask. I took hus drivera license to ensure my he returned my mask.

As DM is your goal having multiple masks isn't a bad idea.

One day I was approached by a diver who I didn't know who asked to borrow a mask. I took hus drivera license to ensure my he returned my mask.

I don’t know what I’m more surprised at - someone having the cajones to ask to borrow gear from someone they didn’t know or that you actually loaned it. You’re more generous than I am. I generally don’t loan stuff to someone I don’t know. The one exception was a backup dive computer to someone I buddied with.

I don’t know what I’m more surprised at - someone having the cajones to ask to borrow gear from someone they didn’t know or that you actually loaned it. You’re more generous than I am. I generally don’t loan stuff to someone I don’t know. The one exception was a backup dive computer to someone I buddied with.
Well, I had his driver's license. Strong motivation to return it.

When I taught for shops that provided poor gear, loaning gear was something I frequently did.

I have always carry an extra in my pocket and it helped me perfectly when my primary broke and I pulled the extra one out to finish that dive and the rest of the days dives.

I carried a backup mask on EVERY dive after getting my solo certification years ago. Then a couple of years later on the very first drop of an extended South Florida lobster hunting trip a horrendous fogging issue arose. No problem for me, because I came prepared! I arrogantly whipped out my backup mask and was immediately enraptured by my incredibly proficient and clever diving prowess. Somewhat ironic considering my backup mask fogged up faster and remarkably worse than my primary! In retrospect it was less of a mask issue and more of an improper breathing issue by allowing too much air to pass through my nose. Regardless, the spare mask now lives in my dry bag.

obviously cave divers would carry one with them on dives.
I don't have an extra on any cave dive.

Carry has a couple of meanings. Do I take an extra mask on a trip? Yes. Do I ever carry one on my person? No.

I used to be concerned about the possibility and consequences of a mask strap failure during a dive. Not anymore. A few yeas ago during a typical Cozumel backroll entry my mask strap flipped up and off the back of my (hooded) head. The mask remained glued to my face for the entire dive while the strap was precariously flopping around in the ripping current. I was completely clueless until I effortlessly popped off my mask when back on the boat. Since that time I don my mask first then pull my hood over my head. The mask strap is protected underneath and the potential of a massive leak due to the hood being caught under the mask seal is essentially eliminated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom