At what point would it be recommended to carry a back up mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .

I'd very strongly recommend carrying one (and being proficient about doing the swap under stress) for solo dives or dives where there is a hard or deco ceiling over your head.

Yes, but this being the Basic Scuba forum, my assumption is we’re not talking Solo, Deco, Cave, etc. Just basic open-water diving.

Only once I've had an issue with my mask and I was in 5m of water so no big deal, (Dive number 1,731)

The only time I carry a back-up is when doing a planned deco dive.

Long deco would be the only situation I would consider carrying a backup mask on me while diving.

No stop diving? It would be non essential gear. Not necessary.
Agree. I have 2 backup masks (that fit). The best one stays in the car. I only bought one mask since OW course-- found the rest. I use one of the found ones as it fits best.

I didn't for a long time
Then I started to after being motivated by a fellow diver
Then it became a 'requirement' to diving solo.

It didn't affect me because I wear dive shorts and have plenty of real estate.

The most common scenario, which I've witnessed thrice now, is a diver getting their mask kicked off their face when crowding around something.
This is very unlikely to happen to me because I go in the opposite direction when I see a gaggle of divers.
The second scenario is most times unavoidable.
Hanging on the moor line in a current.
Divers above you will likely descend on you and knock your mask off.

In all and both and neither cases, my beauchat mask compacts into nothing in pocket.

I didn't for a long time
Then I started to after being motivated by a fellow diver
Then it became a 'requirement' to diving solo.

It didn't affect me because I wear dive shorts and have plenty of real estate.

The most common scenario, which I've witnessed thrice now, is a diver getting their mask kicked off their face when crowding around something.
This is very unlikely to happen to me because I go in the opposite direction when I see a gaggle of divers.
The second scenario is most times unavoidable.
Hanging on the moor line in a current.
Divers above you will likely descend on you and knock your mask off.

In all and both and neither cases, my beauchat mask compacts into nothing in pocket.
In your position I too would carry a spare. I haven't seen another diver underwater here in.. I think 6 years.

Did about half an hour without a mask once because I got tired of clearing the fog. Conditions were such I could easily see shapes (i.e., my buddy) and the bottom. Very "zen" feeling in retrospect. I wouldn't bother carrying one during the dive in a recreational setting, but I do carry an extra in the dive bag.

For me, the backup mask is a mandatory technical diver requirement and is a requirement for some agencies, like GUE, below the technical levels. I have lots of stuff in my drysuit pockets so carrying a backup mask doesn't bother me.

Below these levels, a backup mask is likely going to be used if you lose yours, or someone else does, when on the surface. It seems unlikely that anyone on a recreational dive will be calmly donating or receiving a mask unless they have been trained to near tech levels.

Something to consider in addition to, or instead of the backup mask, is replacing the silicone mask strap with a neoprene velcro "slap strap" to help reduce the chance that a failed strap will cause you problems above or below the surface. Many with longer hair find it much nicer than silicone straps, especially when not wearing a hood.

This is the kind whose velcro threads through the existing mask strap connections, and sticks to the surface of the pad. It's not the kind you can buy that puts a pad over the existing silicone strap, for obvious reasons.

My buddy has a slap strap that doesn't use velcro but plastic buckles, and the buckle closure got snagged and came off on a dive. I keep a few spare mask straps in my save-a-dive kit mostly for others.

Naturally, even a better strap isn't going to fix a mask that gets lost entirely...but the neoprene might help slow down the mask's descent so you can catch it in time. :)

I know some people don't like audible alerts on their computers, because when they're with a herd there's always a few poor divers setting the thing off every other minute. But I elect to keep the audible alerts on with my computer. I rarely set them off with the exception of hitting "It's time to start thinking about going up" pressure alarm. If I lost my mask on a dive I'd be going up, if I were with a buddy I'd rely on him or her. If I were solo I'd rely on the audible alerts for ascent speed, and being a no stop dive where of course safety stops are optional, I'd try my best to do a pause and then head up.

if losing a mask will spoil your day - get a spare

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom