At what age did you switch to the rebreather? (From OC)

At what age did you switch to the rebreather? (From OC)

• Before 20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 20 to 25

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • 25 to 30

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • 30 to 35

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • 35 to 40

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • 40 to 45

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 45 to 50

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • After 50

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • After 60

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 years after my open water course.

Well I guess it does depend on whether or not we do another death march.
If you thought burpees and a death march in doubles was bad, wait til you do it with a back mount rebreather and two AL80s on. Burpees are hard in sidemount.

I switched to CCR as a function of the diving I was doing at the time. Trimix was expensive, and I was diving with more people on CCR, who where able to have longer bottom times and shorter decompression than me.

In truth, I did the MOD1 course to understand what my buddies where doing and how their equipment worked and what it meant for me. Have way through the MOD1 it became obvious that I should move from OC to CCR if I intended to continue doing the diving I was doing.

Unfortunately, after I had switched to CCR, professional and personal circumstance interrupted my deeper Trimix diving. However, I don't regret switching to CCR, I enjoy being on CCR.
Reinforced recently by 4 days on OC when the cell died on my unit :( .

I think this is the path that most people did in Italy at that time, at least with Fipsas. I say this because the path you did is the same as my first instructors in fipsas
True.
The ARO CC rebreather was the standard Scuba system employed by novices in Italy, since when Luigi Ferraro started the first diving schools in 1949 and until 1979.
The ARO was preferred for two reasons:
1) the apparatus was much cheaper than an OC system.
2) It was evident that people learning to dive with a CC rebreather were in general excellent divers with OC systems, having mastered breathing control, buoyancy control and trim control (and, of consequence, brain and emotional control).
The opposite was not true, divers starting with OC had a long path yet to follow before becoming proficient and safe with a CC rebreather.
The drawback was that diving courses were terribly selective: less than 20% of initial students could complete successfully the 6-months long course.

I'm taking Mod1 in 4 weeks at 28 years old. I started diving actively in 2014, just doing standard OW single tank dives. I switched to doubles and took AN/DP maybe 2 years later, then GUE T1 2 years after that, and T2 a year ago.

I live in the region that you would call the hub for diving in Western Canada, and we have deep, dark water right on our doorstep. I can drive 30 minutes to a beach, walk in the water and be in 60m+ water immediately. That combined with the fact that visibility is often significantly better at depth in many places here lends itself to being a bit deeper. My dives are getting longer, deeper, and I'm just going beyond what is realistic on OC in terms of helium costs.

What people have mentioned here about the financial aspect keeping young people away from CCRs is totally true as well. I definitely would not go CCR if it weren't for my relative financial stability. I was actually surprised to see in the poll that a decent percentage of 25-30 year had CCRs.

I was 46. Couldnt do the cave dives I wanted to do on OC anymore. It was too many cylinders, hiked too far through the forest, for far too short of bottom times, to actually lay line and survey it.

Can " at what age did you switch back to OC from CCR " be add to the poll ?
I know it will not happen, just a thought,:stirpot:

Can " at what age did you switch back to OC from CCR " be add to the poll ?
I know it will not happen, just a thought,:stirpot:
:)

Alas that day will inevitably come when decrepitude arrives, one's body breaking such that the diving's too difficult. Could be knees, back, or goodness knows what.

Then you'd sell the dive kit and buy a sailing boat. To sail to Valhalla!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom