At what age did you switch to the rebreather? (From OC)

At what age did you switch to the rebreather? (From OC)

• Before 20

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 20 to 25

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • 25 to 30

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • 30 to 35

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • 35 to 40

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • 40 to 45

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 45 to 50

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • After 50

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • After 60

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30. Getting certified next month. Only done 1 year of OC with helium and it was enough to justify the leap, especially with the type of diving I am wanting to do. Sure I could have waited a little bit longer, but it didn't make sense to just delay the inevitable.

I probably would have done it a long time ago, if I could have afforded it. There were times where my good car was the $700 one instead of the $500 one. And trying to figure how I would be making the house payment. I could only dream. Took several years to get far enough ahead in life to be able to invest in this type of stuff. Not everybody has a lot of disposable income early in life, if ever.

51. I did MOD1 in August this year.
I was previously AN & helitrox. I was planning to do OC normoxic trimix before going CCR, but dropped on an AP unit for a bargain price. I'm very pleased I did because I'm loving it so far.

I probably would have done it a long time ago, if I could have afforded it. There were times where my good car was the $700 one instead of the $500 one. And trying to figure how I would be making the house payment. I could only dream. Took several years to get far enough ahead in life to be able to invest in this type of stuff. Not everybody has a lot of disposable income early in life, if ever.

It’s the rarely eat out, take your lunch to work, make tea at home so you don’t get it from
McD on the commute. Super frugal except for diving. It’s pretty much the new job I started in March with a nice pay bump that allowed me to think about going CCR now. My scuba fund is to the point where I’ve got enough for the unit itself, as I’ve been throwing everything into the the past month, but still have to save up class fee and associated costs. I’ve got all winter to add more to the scuba fund. I actually have a separate savings account I call the scuba fund.

It’s the rarely eat out, take your lunch to work, make tea at home so you don’t get it from
McD on the commute. Super frugal except for diving. It’s pretty much the new job I started in March with a nice pay bump that allowed me to think about going CCR now. My scuba fund is to the point where I’ve got enough for the unit itself, as I’ve been throwing everything into the the past month, but still have to save up class fee and associated costs. I’ve got all winter to add more to the scuba fund. I actually have a separate savings account I call the scuba fund.
It's amazing how quickly those scuba funds can go, but how slow they are to come back

52 when I started on CCR. But, I only learned to dive when I was 48. Looking back, I think no matter what age I started diving, I would have gravitated to CCR soon after.

I did my first CCR try-dive just before I turned 50 and would have gone CCR immediately, if I could have afforded it.

Now, I'm just about to turn 55. I happened to look at some stats in my log the other day. It was quite a coincidence that I noted that I have 163 lifetime dives in doubles and 163 lifetime dives on CCR now.

Now, I only dive OC for teaching or if I'm doing something like a recreational-only liveaboard or trip where there is no CCR support.

Asking what age people were when they switched is a good question. It seems like "how long were you diving before you switched" would be another good question.

I'm generally in the same boat. The closest thing to a daily splurge is keeping a case of Mexican Coke at home, usually to go with dinner. Other than that I live a fairly frugal life. Going out for food is maybe a once a week deal, and even then it is still low cost (but good) food. But I will spend good coin when I see value in it.

Don't forget the hidden costs of a rebreather that you need to put into the scuba fund. Namely a divesoft trimix analyzer and a booster. I got both a year after getting the rebreather.

30. Getting certified next month. Only done 1 year of OC with helium and it was enough to justify the leap, especially with the type of diving I am wanting to do. Sure I could have waited a little bit longer, but it didn't make sense to just delay the inevitable.
Whoa whoa whoa. You are taking a class next month. Who says you are getting certified?

I'm generally in the same boat. The closest thing to a daily splurge is keeping a case of Mexican Coke at home, usually to go with dinner. Other than that I live a fairly frugal life. Going out for food is maybe a once a week deal, and even then it is still low cost (but good) food. But I will spend good coin when I see value in it.

Don't forget the hidden costs of a rebreather that you need to put into the scuba fund. Namely a divesoft trimix analyzer and a booster. I got both a year after getting the rebreather.

I already have the Trimix analyzer. I’m in the midst of OC AN/DP/Helitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom