Question At what age can a kid start diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the minimum age that kids can start diving?
This is a hotly contested topic. (with no definitive resolution)
My 2001 Our World Underwater talk (Why I don't Train Kids) is at

Note this is only my personal choice for my teaching.
The same weekend I gave this talk, an international aquatics safety convention asked participants two questions:
At what age is it OK to start scuba diving? Most Answer: 14
At what age is it OK for your child to start scuba diving? Most Answer: 16

My oldest is 15, planning on doing some introduction to diving this summer (I consider OW introduction). Also planning on exclusively diving as a team and I will be in redundant self reliant gear.

My oldest is 15, planning on doing some introduction to diving this summer (I consider OW introduction). Also planning on exclusively diving as a team and I will be in redundant self reliant gear.
This is a great age to start. Enjoy your time diving together. Having redundant gear is a terrific idea.

I got certified when my son was 12. He looked up the requirements and found out that he could be certified at his age.

I told him he had to finish the complete Red Cross swim program first. He had taken about 3 of the 10 or so steps in the progression but was not that interested in applying himself to it.

This lit a fire under him and he completed the complete program in 18 months, then took a lifeguard course gefore we could get him certified.

And what a lot of people here are missing is junior OW requires a parent or guardian or a dive professional to accompany them.

And the poster who said if kid was certified why have dive plan reviewed by adult, I am tech diver certified and all dive plans, even fun recreational dive plans, are reviewed by buddies. (As an engineer, everything gets reviewed and calculations checked prior to implementing so this is normal.)

At what age is it OK to start scuba diving? Most Answer: 14
At what age is it OK for your child to start scuba diving? Most Answer: 16
Their answer to the second question is their REAL answer to the first question.

Their answer to the second question is their REAL answer to the first question.
I started at 16 and it was ok.
My sons started at 2 years and half, and this was also OK.
I think that there is a "black period" between 11 and 16, when kids start to not follow parent's instructions and are prone to uncontrolled behaviour.
In that period only very calm and self-controlled kids should be allowed to dive.
Then every human is different. Some should never dive, at any age.

I started at 16 and it was ok.
My sons started at 2 years and half, and this was also OK.
I think that there is a "black period" between 11 and 16, when kids start to not follow parent's instructions and are prone to uncontrolled behaviour.
In that period only very calm and self-controlled kids should be allowed to dive.
Then every human is different. Some should never dive, at any age.
I think we've been over this a while back. Not disagreeing about the "volatility" of kids age 11-16, having been a (band) teacher of kids that age for 19 years. My only question is what do you do if you start a kid say, age 8 and the kid turns out to be one you think shouldn't be diving come age 11 or so? Do you just say to them scuba is now out until you reach 16? There MIGHT be a bit of rebellion there.

I think we've been over this a while back. Not disagreeing about the "volatility" of kids age 11-16, having been a (band) teacher of kids that age for 19 years. My only question is what do you do if you start a kid say, age 8 and the kid turns out to be one you think shouldn't be diving come age 11 or so? Do you just say to them scuba is now out until you reach 16? There MIGHT be a bit of rebellion there.
Both my daughters started at 10. Yes, there is a bit of rebellion at their current ages (14,17) at the surface. That doesn't happen with them underwater. They are both good underwater, and pretty well behaved, regardless of their behavior on land. I'm lucky in that regard.

Contrast that with friends of mine. They have twin boys about the same age as my oldest daughter. One is kind of like my daughters. May not listen on land, but fully focused and a good diver and buddy under water. The other is not. Not focused and a bad buddy. What you mentioned is pretty much the plan for them. No diving until the maturity improves. These are kids. If they aren't diving with their parents, it's unlikely that they'll be diving on their own. It's not like they'll be able to book a charter without a parent or guardian signing off.

Every kid is different. It is impossibly to generalise.
For some, definitely it is wise to suspend their diving activity until they mature enough.
Someone NEVER mature...

I started at 9

Just make sure you have a wetsuit that fits your child properly, or diving experience will be miserable..

I still remember how cold I was at the end of some dives. I even pressed the purge button on my reg once in a while to increase gas consumption to end the dive earlier!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom