Asymmetrical Ear Canals -- what to be aware of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
WeRtheOcean

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I just read the resource on "Ear Problems in Scuba Diving," but it did not address this particular detail. I recently purchased a type of earplugs designed for air travel, to alleviate pressure changes and cabin noise. (That's not what I use them for; I use them in the grocery store because the beep before each service desk call was painfully loud -- with these plugs, it still sounds just as loud, but isn't painful.)

Anyway, I noticed that whenever I inserted these earplugs, one ear canal always let the plug in straight, whereas the other ear canal was slightly curved, so that I have to manipulate the ear to insert the plug. This difference in the shape of the ear canals also leads to a difference in the amount of earwax buildup -- the curved canal gets more wax. Is this likely to lead to any diving-related concerns, perhaps having to do with the swimmer's ear mentioned in the resource?

Everyone is different but i don't think there is any inherent issue with some asymmetry.

I had surgery a year ago that caused one of my ear canals to basically collapse. The surgeon said i might have trouble equalizing but it hasn't been a problem, knock on wood.

I will probably get some reconstructive surgery at some point but not because of diving.

I would dive cautiously - don't push equalization too hard - and see an ENT if you run into any trouble.

Yes. The ear canal that accumulates more wax has a higher chance of getting a swimmers ear. Having said that, there are people who never get swimmers ear in their entire life regardless of canal shape (everybody’s external canal is a little curved) and then there are people who get infections just thinking about getting wet…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom