AST sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This really addresses the issue with voting logic.

Makes me even more certain that most rb brands are putting their bags on the wrong train.

Quick update to everyone. I just got off the phone with Patrick at OxyCheq. The root problem sounds like it was a production ramp-up issue over the summer that impacted some of the sensors. I can't say I'm surprised, they basically went from a brand new company to building and shipping over 4000 cells in a short period of time.

The production issues have been addressed and newer cells should be fine.

If you have issues with your cell, please feel free to contact OxyCheq and they will take care of you.

Reactions: OTF
This really addresses the issue with voting logic.

Makes me even more certain that most rb brands are putting their bags on the wrong train.

I've thought it would be nice to have a new shearwater menu screen: Voting Logic, which displays each cell along with some data about the cells, and lets you toggle them off.

I think that would be a nice option vs. having to try and ignore the other blinky lights for the rest of your dive. I don't think Shearwater will ever do it.

I've thought it would be nice to have a new shearwater menu screen: Voting Logic, which displays each cell along with some data about the cells, and lets you toggle them off.

I think that would be a nice option vs. having to try and ignore the other blinky lights for the rest of your dive. I don't think Shearwater will ever do it.

That would be nice but I think the real problem is the voting logic itself.

I think it's just pure luck that these voting fails happen to divers that are good enough to spot the problem, keep cool and override the system.

I don't even think the problem is voting logic itself - it's that all galvanic sensors by definition are ill-suited to reliably running moist life support systems underwater and using them will always require workarounds and acceptance of risk.

[Disclaimer: I'm not a rebreather diver (yet), just an engineer learning about these things.]

I don't even think the problem is voting logic itself - it's that all galvanic sensors by definition are ill-suited to reliably running moist life support systems underwater and using them will always require workarounds and acceptance of risk.

[Disclaimer: I'm not a rebreather diver (yet), just an engineer learning about these things.]

Well the voting logics function is to solve the problem with the ill-suited galvanic sensors.

You might say it's a bad fix to a bad design.

Well the voting logics function is to solve the problem with the ill-suited galvanic sensors.

You might say it's a bad fix to a bad design.

Pretty much. Although it's more like a best-we-can-do solution to deal with a limited technology.

Pretty much. Although it's more like a best-we-can-do solution to deal with a limited technology.

There are other solutions out there.
Even though there's a lot of rb divers disliking the poseidon rb the system itself with ss sensors is a lot better.

"You never get to dive with a poseidon blablabla safety checks sucks blablabla"
Even though the quoted person is wrong that's another discussion, I'm talking about the system.

Yeah. I find the solid state sensor development really fascinating. Proving those out and getting the cost down seems like it would would be a huge leap forward for rebreathers. I for one would be much more comfortable trusting trusting my life, or just my pricey dive expedition, to a solid state sensor.

Is anyone here running those in a Poseidon or other rebreather? Thoughts or experience on them? Or maybe I should take that to the other SSS thread.

Back
Top Bottom