Assistance with equalizing for someone with narrow ear canals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhino1701

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I've just gotten into diving and love it. Now I would love for my wife to join me but she has a lot of trouble with her ears. She regularly gets tropical ear/ ear infections for getting water stuck and when she did a discover scuba course she had trouble with equalizing at the bottom of a 3m pool. Some people have told me about a product called fez, a spray for the nose or I have read about pro plugs for the ears. Just after people's advice from experience to help her get into this great experience.
Hopefully I have put this thread in the right place
cheers

I've always struggled slightly more than others with equalisation. I don't know that I have narrow ear canals, but I have below average hearing and have a childhood history of ear problems and had grommets fitted when I was little.

Anyway the breakthrough for me was really stretching out my neck when equalising. She can try this on land just by twisting the head/neck sideways so that one ear is pointing upwards and the other is touching her shoulder, and the neck feels stretched. Then try equalising the ear pointing upwards while holding this position! It does mean you have to equalise each ear separately because you then stretch the neck in the other direction to do the other ear.

The other technique I used was to put air pressure behind the ears as if you're about to equalise, but then swallow deeply. This isn't quite as reliable as the method above though.

I will usually follow the procedure above on land shortly before diving, and then I have no problem at all equalising both ears in the normal fashion every metre for the first 10 metres, then every 2 metres until 20 metres.

Yes I get ear infections every so often, I just have to get a course of antibiotics from the doctor.

Subscribing. My father experiences the same problem, and i would like to see any other comments. Thanks

It's pretty common for people to have eat problems when you start diving. I actually found that I had blood in one ear ( infected) and the other was also infected alhough neither ear hurt. Sometimes eat infections hurt (never for me) and sometimes they are horribly painful for others. As a nw diver I would talk to your instuctor to see if they can find something that works for you. You have likely heard all other things but sometimes when my ears won't equalize normally (doesn't happen often) I actually grab the top of my ear and tug on it. Maybe try the methods your instructors taught you while pulling hard upwards on your ear? It always seems to work for me when nothing else works. Just something to try. Might not work but if it does all the better.

Other methods include swallowing while your tungue is on the top of your mouth. It's hard to explain I guess but those are wwo methods that you can try at the same time that might help. Talk to an instructor and they can likely give you quite a few other ways. Your instructor is there to help for a reason. They are the smart people.

Hi, I've just gotten into diving and love it. Now I would love for my wife to join me but she has a lot of trouble with her ears. She regularly gets tropical ear/ ear infections for getting water stuck and when she did a discover scuba course she had trouble with equalizing at the bottom of a 3m pool. Some people have told me about a product called fez, a spray for the nose or I have read about pro plugs for the ears. Just after people's advice from experience to help her get into this great experience.
Hopefully I have put this thread in the right place
cheers

A couple of thoughts:

First, I've had a student who used the pro ear mask before. My first impression was that it was a pain the ass and didn't seem to work very well. That *could* have been a question of not using it correctly but neither she nor I had any experience with them and no matter how we tried to adjust it, the ear cups just filled up with water. Maybe look around scubaboard for threads about it but I personally wouldn't be inclined to advise it.

Secondly, not being able to equalize very well at the bottom of a pool is more common than you think. It could potentially have been a training/experience issue (clearing the ears is an actual skill that you can get better at) and it doesn't strike me as the least bit odd that someone in a try-dive had issues. Using nose sprays and all that kind of junk is just asking for problems, if you ask me. I'd put my energy into finding a better solution if at all possible.

Finally, I personally don't see a connection between being susceptible to ear infections and having trouble clearing. There are several good products on the market for combating sensitivity to ear infections, including some oil/vinegar ones that taste better than they smell but work pretty well. My advice would be to visit an ENT and ask for advice about the infection thing separately.

R..

Following on from Diver0001 I probably should have flagged that I haven't had any experience of the masks either, simply stumbled across them a couple of weeks back. I'd also second what he says about training the ears - it definitely gets easier the more you dive,

See an ENT (ears-nose-throat) doctor before deciding on any gear fixes. There are two things I see wrong with your diagnoses. Your wife may not have a physiological problem with ear clearing at all, it could just be technique.

First you say your wife get's tropical ear infections, this tells me she gets water trapped in her outer ear canal. Next she has trouble equalizing, this tells me she can't push air through her Eustachian tubes, which is a middle ear problem. The Eustachian tubes are located right near your tonsils and leads up to your middle ear.

Having a narrow outer ear canal should not affect the ability to equalize. Having thin tubes does. It could all be just a technique problem with equalizing. Does she have any trouble popping her ears on a plane or when ascending a mountain? If not, then it's probably all technique.
Keep in mind there are 3 techniques to equalize the ears
In order of which is more forceful (harsh and possibly harmful) to which is less when equalizing your ears:

Valsalva Maneuver:
Plug your nose and exhale into your throat. Often incorrectly called blowing your nose. You're actually trying to inflate you throat and blow air into the Eustachian tubes located in your throat. Blowing your nose, people often constrict their throat, impeding ear equalization.
You can also blow too forcefully, harming or inflaming your ear and even go as far as to burst your ear drums from the inside out.

Frenzel Maneuver:
Hold air in your mouth, and in one fluid motion push your tongue onto the roof of your mouth, starting from tip then rolling to back. Very similar to what your tongue does when you swallow.
The idea is to use the tongue as a piston to shove air into the Eustachian tubes. Can be done hands free, but holding the nose may help.
Having independent control of soft palate and epiglottis makes this easier. Soft palate closes the airway between your nose and throat, epiglottis closes between throat and lungs (holds your breath). Closing both off will allow the air to be directed into your tubes when you equalize, if one is open, the air won't go into the Eustachian tubes.

As such, when scuba diving, you should never hold your breath. So this has to be done in one fluid motion. It takes more technique, but is less forceful than the valsalva manuever. It can't be forced, so your ears will never become stressed or inflamed with this method.

Voluntary Tubal Opening/Beance Tubaire Volontaire:
This requires voluntary use of a less often used muscle in your throat. You basically use this muscle to pull open your Eustachian tubes and allow air to passively equalize from your mouth to your ears. When freediving you need to inflate your mouth. When scuba diving you just need to breath in and out normally. It is said that not all divers can anatomically pull this maneuver off, but I think it has more to do with mind/muscle control.

A cheaters way of doing this is to hitch your jaw forward and open and pretend a big yawn, without the usual big breath in and out; just use the muscles you normally use to yawn.

More on Ear Equalization:
Ear clearing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, to prevent the outer ear infection from trapped water, you can use swimmer's ear drops. A home remedy is a mixture of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), distilled white vinegar, and distilled water.
The alcohol helps the water to evaporate, the vinegar is antibacterial, and the water dilutes it so it doesn't burn like crazy when it's in there. Just use a medicine dropper and add a few drops into your ear after a swim. Let is sit for a few seconds then tilt your head and let it drain out.

There are different ratios of mixes that people swear by; since I don't have this problem, I don't use it and can't recommend a ratio. I just use clean tap water; I'm lucky. You should always rinse out your ears IMO after an ocean swim.

As has already been said, the ear infections one gets from swimming involve the external auditory canal (the tube from the outer ear to the drum). The skin there gets soft and vulnerable from being wet, and bacteria set up shop in it. This has nothing at all to do with being able to equalize, which involves the Eustachian tube, or the tube from the middle ear to the throat. I have a small essay on the difference HERE.

Problems with equalizing are most often due to technique, and the good news is that the technique can be learned and practiced without ever getting in the water. HERE is a good video about the diver's ear, anatomy and equalization. If your wife can pressurize her ears on land, and can make airplane flights without undue difficulty, the chances are very good that she simply needs to learn how and when to clear her ears underwater. Do be aware, however, that ear problems are also a frequent excuse used by people who are anxious and really don't want to be underwater. If this is your wife's issue, it's probably a better idea not to push "solutions" at her.

Dr. Kay has some excellent videos to help divers. Oops looks like TSandM posted the video link in her post above, as I was searching for it.

[video=youtube;vw9UNcp9lxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9UNcp9lxM[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom