assembly help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm assembling up my scuba gear and had a perhaps silly question but I want to double check just for safety. The console hose that goes into the HP port seems to be closed with what appears to be a pinhole sized opening. Is this normal or is there something else I have to unscrew, it seemed a bit unusual (see attached pic).

Also, do any of the o-rings need to be lubed? The manual for the console has about a paragraph under "attaching" and all it says is remove HP port plug on the 1st stage, screw it in and tighten very slightly with wrench..nothing about lubing.

Attachments

• IMG_4601.JPG
    IMG_4601.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 46
That is normal.

There is no flow in the HP hose, the pinhole is large enough to balance pressure all the way to the gauge so it can do its job, and limits consequences of a ruptured HP hose.

If the rings are shiny and new no lube is needed. If you would have to use any just a dab on your finger. work it around with your thumb so your finger and thumb have a very thin coating and then LIGHTLY roll the oring in that. You only need enough to make it look shiny. If you can see any particles of grease at all it's too much.

....Also, do any of the o-rings need to be lubed? The manual for the console has about a paragraph under "attaching" and all it says is remove HP port plug on the 1st stage, screw it in and tighten very slightly with wrench..nothing about lubing.

No, but some folks do "just because".

As a very general rule of thumb, static o-rings are unlubed, dynamic are lubed...

If you do decide to lube, use something specifically designed for use with scuba o-rings like christo lube or tribolube. Do NOT use silicone spray (it has solvents in it, and can damage the o-ring over time). And lube VERY lightly (just barely enough to make o-ring shiney, no excess lube).

Or do like a some of us do when attaching hoses and use a little dab o' spit on the o-ring :wink:

Best wishes.

Edit: Ooops, Jim types faster. See his post, he describes it better than I did.

EDIT 2: I forgot.... do NOT overtighten when attaching hoses to the 1st stage (or 2nd stage). Just a smidge past "hand tight" in enough! The o-ring does the sealing, not brute force. Use the shortest wrench you own, and just a small "tweak" past hand tight is enough... just tight enough so you can't remove the hose with your bare hands.

great, all hooked up and ready. Thanks a bunch!!!

only thing remaining is trying to evade the apartment manager so that I can go for a test dive in the pool :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom