Assembling Reg, Octo, computer to 1st stage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jax951

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick question...

I just purchased an Apeks ATX50, TX40 Octo, and Suunto Vyper (console with air gauge) from the local dive store, along with BC's for me and my wife. The regs are on back order, and aren't supposed to be in for another week to 10 days. The rest should be available for pick up tomorrow.

I'm itching to run down there and pick up my stuff, even though I'll have to make a second trip to pick up the rest of it.

My question is this: Do most Dive shops assemble all the gear for you, or do they just give it to you in the boxes? If I pick it up seperately, then I'm sure I'll have to put it together myself. This wouldn't void any kind of warranty or anything would it?

Are there any recommendations for assembling this myself? Any special tools required, or torque ratings? Any special lubricants or sealants that need to be used?

Thanks in advance - Mark

Your LDS should assemble it for free. Ask them to show how to assemble it yourself for the future. It's really simple.

jax951:
Quick question...

I just purchased an Apeks ATX50, TX40 Octo, and Suunto Vyper (console with air gauge) from the local dive store, along with BC's for me and my wife. The regs are on back order, and aren't supposed to be in for another week to 10 days. The rest should be available for pick up tomorrow.

I'm itching to run down there and pick up my stuff, even though I'll have to make a second trip to pick up the rest of it.

My question is this: Do most Dive shops assemble all the gear for you, or do they just give it to you in the boxes? If I pick it up seperately, then I'm sure I'll have to put it together myself. This wouldn't void any kind of warranty or anything would it?

Are there any recommendations for assembling this myself? Any special tools required, or torque ratings? Any special lubricants or sealants that need to be used?

Thanks in advance - Mark

Let the dive shop assemble it. Assembling it yourself wouldn't void a warranty, but why do it if you paid the LDS for the stuff?

Most of the stuff will go together with slightly more force than finger tight. It is the O-rings that keep the seal intact. No sealants...You can lube the o-rings at the ends of the hoses, but many people (including me) do not. I keep a supply of O-rings around, and change them when they look worn.

Just my .02

I also go for having the shop assemble it.

Bring your BC (and a tank if their rentals are not the type you dive) so you can make sure the hoses are in the ports best for you and any problems can be fixed on the spot.

There are no warranty issues that I am aware of.

Have the shop assemble it. That's what they get paid for. There is no warranty violation if you do it yourself, however keep the piece of mind and let a professional do it.

if you do let the desk monkey at the shop "assemble" your reg, keep the port plugs. you never know when they'll come in handy.

and seriously consider doing it yourself. it's easy. and you should be able to remove and reattach hoses. what if one falls off when you're gearing up? are you gonna pack the gear back up and take it in for service? or are you gonna just screw it back on (yes, finger tight is ok) and dive?

Since you are buying everything new go ahead and have the store assemble the regulator and bench test it and check the intermediate pressure. Watch and see what they are doing. From this point on you should be able to swap out hoses and hose o-rings on your own. Have the shop show you how to do basic maint. like that.

As stated earlier it is not a big deal and remember the o-ring makes the seal so the hoses do not have to be put on extremely tight. I see a lot of people make that mstake and the brass on the hoses is scarred and rounded. Here is a link with some information that may interest you:

http://www.therebreathersite.nl/maintenance_first_stage.htm

wetbehindtheear:
if you do let the desk monkey at the shop "assemble" your reg, keep the port plugs. you never know when they'll come in handy.

and seriously consider doing it yourself. it's easy. and you should be able to remove and reattach hoses. what if one falls off when you're gearing up? are you gonna pack the gear back up and take it in for service? or are you gonna just screw it back on (yes, finger tight is ok) and dive?
I would agree that you are just as suited as a guy behind a desk to put it together, but chances are that an quthorized dive shop has some sort of qualification in putting this crap together. Finger tight? hmmmmm.... watch what you say to newer divers without any technical scuba experience.... I would say just snug with a wrench. LET THEM DO IT. You will feel better having someone else to blame when the doodoo hits the fan.

The only tools you would need would be the correct size allen or L-wrench (to get the port plugs out) and a box wrench or crescent wrench to attach the hoses to the 1st stage. Just make sure to put the hoses where you want them, ha ha. HP (pressure gauge) hoses only go into an "HP" port....but pretty much all modern gear has a different size nut for the HP, so you don't accidentally hook up your 2nd stage to an HP port...which would not be a good thing to do. Anyhow, the shop should do it for free, let you watch, see how easy it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom