Assembling reg, octo, and console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hey, i just bought a dive package from leisure pro (i know i suck, but i'm short of money and my lds is pretty expensive) and it came in different boxes... does anyone know how to assemble the reg, octo, and console??? (it's a sherwood oasis, a sherwood minimus, and a genesis resource computer console).

thanks a million!

Manu Ginobili once bubbled...
hey, i just bought a dive package from leisure pro (i know i suck, but i'm short of money and my lds is pretty expensive) and it came in different boxes... does anyone know how to assemble the reg, octo, and console??? (it's a sherwood oasis, a sherwood minimus, and a genesis resource computer console).
Most experienced divers can show you how, and it takes just a few minutes.

On most regs, the 1 or 2 HP ports (for SPG/console) are a different size than the multiple ports for the reg and octo
The little plugs in your reg should come out easily with an allen wrench. If you remove a plug and it just looks like a blank hole of metal, look more closely and you'll see the tiny pinhole. That's a HP port.

Pick spots for your hoses where they will line up nicely when attached to tank and BC.

The seal between the hoses and the reg are made by the o-rings on the hoses and they don't need to be really tight. Screw in the hoses finger tight or just a little bit more.

Unless you crossthread the hoses or torque so hard on stuff you get it stuck or broken, then isn't much you can do wrong other than have an awkward hose routing.

OK, now the rest of you can tell him how dangerous it is for a clueless diver to be fiddling with his gear.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
OK, now the rest of you can tell him how dangerous it is for a clueless diver to be fiddling with his gear.

It is? I don't get it.

I just got some new regs also. My first set. I purchased a small container of silicon grease from a dive store and lubricated the o-rings before assembly. Not too much, just a light coating. The grease can be added to your save a dive kit for future use. You’ll probably never run out and it cost a couple dollars.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

The seal between the hoses and the reg are made by the o-rings on the hoses and they don't need to be really tight. Screw in the hoses finger tight or just a little bit more.

I got a new SPG awhile back that just wouldn't seal until it was wrenched in pretty tight. Checked and doublechecked then changed the o-ring, still wouldn't seal, cranked it in with a wrench. No problems. God help me if it ever blows, but it should be easier to get off without all the o-ring. Just a note that when nothing else works, try it tighter.

C

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...

I got a new SPG awhile back that just wouldn't seal until it was wrenched in pretty tight. Checked and doublechecked then changed the o-ring, still wouldn't seal, cranked it in with a wrench. No problems. God help me if it ever blows, but it should be easier to get off without all the o-ring. Just a note that when nothing else works, try it tighter.

C

I'm assuming that your talking about the connection between the HP hose and the 1st stage?

The only thing I could see preventing a good seal there is damage to the firststage, or possibly the HP hose. You really shouldn't have to do any more than snug it down.

The Seal between the SPG and the hose is not made by an ORing per-se, and requires a HP spool (a small metal rod with orings at either end).

Manu Ginobili,

I would recommend that you take it to the LDS, or have an experienced friend show you how to put it all together. It's life support equipment, so don't mess with it. After somebody shows you, you could do it yourself afterwards. An example of this is that you should use silicon on all the threads.

Take care,

seanrollins once bubbled...

An example of this is that you should use silicon on all the threads.

What is the reason for this? I have assembled lots of regs, and never use silicone on the threads. Are you worried about dissimilar metals?

Also, never use silicone on a reg that will see mixtures > 40% O2. Use christolube or another O2 compatible lubricant.

Also, use all lubricant SPARINGLY. Just a thin coat to shine the surface. Should be no visible lubricant globs.

Galvanic action is not a concern considering the same alloys are typically used on reg sets. Putting silicon on the threads help seal the connection, and also lubricates the o-ring. You silicon all orings when you rebuild reg sets (I'm talking about actually building the reg sets, not just screwing hoses in). Yes, you have to use special lubrication when dealing with O2 clean stuff, but that was beyond his question.

Hope this clears things up :wink:

seanrollins once bubbled...
An example of this is that you should use silicon on all the threads.

Take care,

Don't do this.

Your reg will work fine just screwing the hoses to the first stage. If you want to get fancy, remove the O-rings from the hoses and very very lightly lubricate them with some silicone grease before putting them back. But don't grease the hose threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom