Seaquest XP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAPC0703

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a box of scuba gear and it contained a SeaQuest XP regulator with a Dacor Fury octo and an Oceanic MultiMax Vari computer.

I’ve got to change the batteries in the computer so I don’t know if it works.

Is the regulator setup worth having a dive shop service? From what I gather some SeaQuest regs were Apeks but I can’t find anything about an XP except an eBay listing.

The box had several sets of fins, shorty wetsuits, 22 2# weights, and a Scubapro Glide Plus BCD that looks to be in good shape and holding air. Paid $100 for the box so even if the regulator isn’t serviceable I think I came out good.

I expect most dive shops would not be interested in servicing these regulators based on age and lack of service parts.

It could make a fun DIY project or perhaps a few shops would be willing to service with aftermarket parts, but I would go with a different brand if looking for a decent set of used regulators to keep long term.

So the dive computer appears to work. Haven't had a chance to bring to depth. Did the older dive computer come in metric or standard and were not changeable? I can't find the manual for the model but a similar model's manual didn't provide a method of changing the units.

The BCD held air overnight so I think I am good there.

So the 2nd stage and octo are probably to old to service but the 1st stage looks to be a Cousteau/SEA? If so it appears parts are getting scarce but if I can still get parts should it be a usable 1st stage?

Attachments

• IMG_6220.jpg
    IMG_6220.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6219.jpg
    IMG_6219.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6216.jpg
    IMG_6216.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6215.jpg
    IMG_6215.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6214.jpg
    IMG_6214.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 50
I don't know details on the Oceanic MultiMax Vari or if depth units are changeable, but see it described as bottom timer a couple places so perhaps it does not have dive computer capabilities? If you do the local quarries, might as well stick it in a pocket for a dive and see what happens.

You may be right regarding the first stage being able to use Cousteau/SEA service parts, if true then kits would be available and it would make a respectable first stage. Unfortunately there is not much info online to compare the various Spiro/Seaquest/Aqualung regulators made during that time period.

The Fury 2nd should be an easy service, it looks like new orings and a puck seat are probably all the parts needed to get it ready for use. I would not have problem using it as octo after servicing. As with the 1st stage, just a matter of finding someone with the knowledge and willingness to do basic creative servicing.

In addition to checking the BCD holds air, make sure the inflator button does not have any tendency to stick or trickle air into the BCD if that has not been done already.

A usable Glide BCD and 44 lbs of weights are defiantly worth $100, so agree you did good regardless of how the computer and regulators turn out.

Back
Top Bottom